Sontag Greek Theatre
The Sontag Greek Theatre, located at the western edge of The Wash, was built in 1910 and renovated in 1997, when it was renamed in honor of Professor of Philosophy Frederick Sontag, who was a member of Pomona’s faculty for 57 years, and his wife Carol.
The site of the Greek Theatre had long been a location for both casual student events and more formal performances and ceremonies. In 1910, the senior class gifted $2,500 to build a permanent theatre, which included several hundred concrete seats and bleachers. Pomona College: Reflections on a Campus states that the Wash as “a civic space embedded in nature, it represented both an extension of the ‘college in a garden’ concept and reference to the classical groves of academe.”