Anna Joo Kim
Office: Edmunds 128 at Pomona College
Ph.D. in Urban Planning from the University of California, Los Angeles
M.A. in Ethnic Studies from the University of California, San Diego
B.A. in History & Women’s Studies from Claremont McKenna College
Anna Joo Kim is a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Environmental Analysis program at Pomona College. Her research examines the blurred boundaries between informal and formal jobs for low wage immigrant workers in Los Angeles, and how these semi-formal employment arrangements translate into strategies for local economic growth in ethnic neighborhoods. Anna has a background in community organizing, and has also conducted research for the Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy, the Economic Roundtable and the USC Program for Environmental and Regional Equity. She is the recipient of the Mellon Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship (2011), UC Berkeley Institute for Research on Labor and Employment award for innovative ideas on job creation (2011), UC Center for New Racial Studies Research Award (2010), Institute of American Cultures Research Grant (2009), National Science Foundation Graduate Student Diversity Summer Fellowship (2008), and the UCLA Department of Urban Planning Julie Roque Award for Environmental Justice (2007).
Areas of Expertise
- Community Economic Development
- Race & Migration Studies
- Geographic information systems
Courses Taught at Pomona College
EA 102: Community Mapping
(Fall) This course is an introduction to Community Mapping, using Geographic Information Systems software (ArcGIS). 2011 Community Partner: Center for Community Action and Environmental Justice and Student Project: Mapping Environmental Justice in the Inland Empire.
EA 100: Urban Planning & the Environment
(Spring) An overview of planning issues that affect low-income communities and communities of color, focusing on how differences impact the construction and geographies of cities.
Exploring Spaces Presentations (2011)
- Kim, Anna Joo. “Labor Market Migrations: Immigrant Intersections in the Informal Economy.” AAPI NEXUS: Journal of Policy, Practice, and Community. Spring, 2012. Vol. 10, No. 1, 75-99.
- Takahashi, Lois; Kim, Anna J; Sablan-Santos, Lola et al. “HIV Testing Behavior among Pacific Islanders in Southern California: Importance of Ethnicity, Knowledge, and Domestic Violence.” Aids Education and Prevention. February 2011. Vol 23, No.1, 55-65.
- Takahashi, Lois; Kim, Anna J; Sablan-Santos, Lola et al. “Hepatitis B Among Pacific Islanders in Southern California: How is Health Information Associated with Screening and Vaccination?” Journal of Community Health. June 2010. Vol. 36, No. 1, 47-55.
- Kim, Anna Joo.“L.A.’s Koreatown: Ethnicity, Entrepreneurship, and Entertainment” in Korean American Economy and Community in the 21st Century. ed. Eui Young Yu, Kye Young Park. Korean American Economic Development Center. September 2009. p. 367-390.