Are you interested in Global Health?
There are many ways to pursue your interest in Global Health within the Public Policy major!
Here are a few of the most common methods:
- PPA-Biology or PPA-Chemistry
- If you are interested in going to medical school, a biology or chemistry concentration may be the best option for you. By completing the coursework for these concentrations, you will have completed most of the pre-requisites for medical school.
- The courses required for biology and chemistry concentrations will provide you with an in-depth understanding of the science and medicine behind global health issues, while your public policy core classes will offer a great social science perspective.
- Want to learn more? Contact Annie Niehaus (email@example.com), a junior PPA-Chemistry major.
- PPA-Anthropology or PPA-Sociology
- For students looking at public health from a social science perspective, consider the Anthropology and Sociology concentrations. These two concentrations are incredibly interdisciplinary and flexible.
- PPA-Economics or PPA-Science, Technology, and Society
- If you want to approach public health with a particularly quantitative and analytical perspective, then consider PPA-Economics.
- Science, Technology, and Society (STS) is also a quantitative concentration, but is less focused on economics and more rooted in the mathematics, history, and philosophy departments.
- Want to learn more? Contact Courtney Powers (firstname.lastname@example.org), a senior PPA-STS major.
If you don't feel like any of these pre-designed concentrations are for you, it is possible to create your own. To learn more about this option, please schedule a meeting with Hilary LaConte, Associate Director of the Public Policy Program (Hilary.LaConte@pomona.edu).
Popular Classes Related to Global Health:
- PO, ANTH107 – Medical Anthropology
- PO, ECON 129 PO – Health Economics
- PO, PHIL 038 – Bioethics
- PO, PHIL 039 – Science and Values
- PO, PSYCH 176 – The Psychology of Health and Medicine
- CMC, GOVT 105 – Organization Health Care/Public Policy
- HM, STS 187 – HIV/AIDS: Science, Society, and Service
Looking for More Information about Global Health?
- This website is a great place to start: http://www.globalhealth.gov/about-us/careers/. Includes current global health news and many helpful resources for job opportunities.
- This website offers a broad overview of what global health is and how there are many ways to prepare for a career in global health: http://globalhealth.duke.edu/education/misc-ed/careers-in-global-health
- This website has good resources on a wide variety of health-related careers, including global and public health: http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/Career/51/Global_Health
Don't forget to check out global health related internships in the “Internships” folder on the left!