Faculty Research Travel Fund
Faculty Travel Grant
The Dean's Office administers the Faculty Travel Fund for the purpose of supporting faculty attendance at professional and scholarly meetings and is advised by the Research Committee in the awarding of grants. The following guidelines apply:
- Limitations: The Faculty Travel Fund is intended to provide one travel grant per year for eligible faculty. Eligibility is described in the Faculty Handbook. Applications are reviewed as they are received so it is advantageous to submit applications as early in the fiscal year as possible. If choices must be made because of limited funds, preference is given to those presenting or otherwise officially participating at meetings and to those who did not receive a travel grant the previous academic year. If funds for additional trips are available, similar criteria will be used in these decisions.
- Air travel: Air travel reimbursement is limited to the lowest round-trip coach/economy fare available up to $750 for domestic flights. A supplement up to $600 is available for international flights. Because of great variability of fares, faculty members are reminded that careful purchasing can actually save enough for an additional trip for themselves or a colleague. To ensure use of lowest fares, the Dean's Office will monitor quoted fares, using the departure and return dates given by the applicant, and may reduce the amount of an award if a lower fare is available. Note: upgrades of any kind must be paid at the traveler's personal expense.
- Other primary modes of transportation: You may also drive, take a train, boat or bus to travel to conferences. However, the amount claimed may not exceed the cost of economy airfare.
- Lodgings, per diem and other support: The College will also provide up to $850 in funding to help defray lodgings, meals and ground travel expenses for faculty presenting papers or serving as formal discussants; other participants may receive up to $350.
- Local Meetings: Faculty officially participating in local meetings within 50 miles of campus can apply for reimbursement of registration fees only; travel and room and board expenses are not eligible for reimbursement.)
- Registration: While there is no official limit on registration fees, it is requested that faculty register early and refrain from incurring late registration penalties. For particularly expensive conferences, faculty may not receive the full amount of registration fees and may be asked to look for other sources of funding.
- Meals/per diem: As of 2013-14, meals and
incidentals are reimbursable using a per diem rate.
- Domestic per diem rates: To find the applicable per diem rate for your travel destination, go to the U.S. Government Services Administration (GSA) website at: http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/100120. Print a copy of the web page for submission with your Travel Expense Report.
- International per diem rates: To find the applicable daily rate for your travel destination, go to the U.S. State Department website at: http://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem.asp. Print a copy of the web page for submission with your Travel Expense Report.
- Per diem for the first and last days of travel: For both the day travel begins and the day travel ends, the per diem will be applied at 75% of the standard rate. All travelers will be required to provide proof of the travel period for which per diem coverage is requested.
- Terms of per diem: Per diem covers meals and incidentals (M&I) – not hotel rates. Per the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), incidentals include fees and tips given to porters, baggage carriers, bellhops, hotel maids, stewards or stewardesses and others on ships, and hotel servants in foreign countries; incidentals do not include expenses for laundry, lodging taxes, or the costs of telegrams or telephone calls.
- Purchasing card: A purchasing card should not be used for meals if the per diem reimbursement method is used.
- Avoiding out of pocket expenses: Airfare, lodgings, registration and other expenses may be purchased on a Pomona College purchasing card, or through approved College vendors, without incurring out of pocket expenses by the traveler.
- Reimbursement: Reimbursement for out of pocket expenses will be processed after travel has been completed. Please submit a completed Travel Expense Report form with all applicable documentation and original receipts to your department’s Academic Coordinator for review and submission for reimbursement within 30 days of your return.
- Deadlines: Applications are reviewed as they are received. To guarantee a first trip please apply early. Late requests will be reviewed for full or partial funding as the budget allows.
- Requirements: Please note that, per the faculty handbook, the approval of the department chair is required for travel during the school year. It is important that your chair be informed in order for suitable arrangements to be made during your absence. Chairs will be notified of approved travel grants.
- Alumni: The College benefits greatly when faculty members can also speak with groups of Alumni and/or friends of the College on such trips. If you would be willing to do so, please contact: Kayla McCulley, Assistant Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement, Lifelong Initiatives” at firstname.lastname@example.org or x79977. The Office of Alumni and Parent Engagement may be willing to offer additional funding for travel expenses.
SUBMIT ALL APPLICATIONS VIA COLLEGIATE LINK
(see log-in instructions below)
Paper applications will no longer be accepted as of 8/8/14.
Connect to CollegiateLink by first logging into the portal at: https://my.pomona.edu/ics
Then click on CollegiateLink on the right-hand side of the main page of the portal. Once logged into the portal, you can reach the faculty travel grant application either by using the link in the yellow box at the top of the CollegiateLink home page or by searching for the organization: “Dean of the College at Pomona College” and then clicking “forms”.
If you require any assistance with your application, please contact Amy Crown:
x79105 or email@example.com
221 Alexander Hall