Recruiting Minority Candidates
Consortium for Faculty Diversity at Liberal Arts Colleges (CFD)
Hosted by Gettysburg College, this consortium serves as a clearing house for minority scholars from all disciplines seeking pre-/post-doc opportunities at the liberal arts colleges that support CFD. The website not only identifies applicants for next year's pre-/post-docs, but also lists this year's CFD Fellows (pre-/post-docs), who are eligible for either regular employment or another pre-/post-doc. Unfortunately the employment files for current and past post-docs are not available.
- Go to http://www.c-fd.org/
- Click on current year's scholars for the names, fields, and institutions of last year's post-docs. The site also lists the post-docs for the previous four years. Unfortunately the employment files for current and past post-docs are not available.
- Select "Pomona College"
- Contact the Associate Dean in the Dean's Office for the institutional login and password that allows for access to the names and cvs of this year's applicants for next year's post-doc positions.
Ford Foundation Fellows
The Ford Foundation offers predoctoral, dissertation, and postdoctoral fellowships to minority scholars. A directory of fellows dating back to the 1980s may be found at http://nrc58.nas.edu/FordFellowDirect/Main/Main.aspx
Hosted by Texas Tech University. The National Registry of Diverse & Strategic Faculty is a service designed to help connect current and prospective faculty members from underrepresented groups with institutions of higher education seeking to hire qualified candidates for open faculty positions.
- Go to: http://www.theregistry.ttu.edu/
- Click on the “Institution Login” link in the navigation bar on the left side
- Enter login information:
- Contact the Dean's Office for the login information
Once you enter in the login information,
- Click on the “Search Candidates” link in the navigation bar on the left side
- Follow the instruction to search the database
Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
Although SACNAS does not have a candidate database, it is a reasonably inexpensive venue for advertising faculty positions in the sciences. The Website address is http://www.sacnas.org
The Southern Regional Education Board (SREB)
The SREB Doctoral Scholars Program was developed with support from The Pew Charitable Trusts and the Ford Foundation. It is part of a nationwide initiative (the Compact for Faculty Diversity) to produce more minority Ph.D.s and to encourage them to seek faculty positions. The program has maintained a retention rate of almost 90 percent, more than 70 percent of its graduates have begun academic careers in higher education, and more than 70 percent are employed in SREB states. SREB publishes an On-line Scholar Directory:
- Go to SREB's Web site at www.sreb.org
(look at left side of screen)
- Click on Doctoral Scholars
- Click on Scholar Directory
- Click on Proceed to Login
Contact the Dean's Office for login information.
Inside Higher Ed
A free website with daily news aimed at people involved in higher education, Inside Higher Ed also posts job listings. It boasts a wide and diverse readership as well as very reasonable advertising rates. Go to the website at: http://www.insidehighered.com and follow the links to post your ad.