Bookmark and Share
  • Text +
  • Text -

International Student Resources

Diversity & International Guide

Diversity & International Resource Guide

Click to download

What do International Students Study in the U.S.?

Average Filed of Study for International Students

Top Field of Study-Business

Click to View the 2011 Report [pdf]

As an international student, you may face unique challenges in your career exploration process. In the U.S., every foreign national is required to obtain a visa in order to work legally. Remember that you will need extra time to find a sponsor employer. The CDO should be your first stop to help guide you to employers who hire international students.

Important information to note:

  • Employers can apply for their employee H1B visas beginning April 1st each year, although the visa isn’t effective until October.
  • Only the first 85,000 people from around the world that complete the H1B sponsorship search process get issued H1B visas.
  • 80% of H1B employers and sponsoring companies do NOT publicly advertise their jobs on any job boards.
  • Do not use a traditional foreign-style CV to apply for US jobs with US employers.

We've created a resource guide to help you get started. Download the guide for helpful tips and resources. [pdf]

Employment for International Students at Pomona

Traditional "international students" (students with F-1 status) may work on campus, but before beginning to work must first obtain a Social Security number. The hiring supervisor can work with prospective student employees in order to collect the necessary documentation, and the International Place on the Claremont McKenna College campus can assist students in setting up an appointment with the Social Security Administration to apply for a Social Security number and card.


Your prospective campus supervisor will provide a job offer printed on school letterhead.  This offer goes to Sara Mitchell, the International Student Advisor in the Office of Admissions, who will provide you with a second letter verifying your status as an enrolled student at Pomona College.  Bring your student identification, your Visa documentation, the job offer on school letterhead, and your enrolled student verification from Sara Mitchell, to the International Place, the five college resource center for international students located on the Claremont McKenna College campus (  The I-Place staff will assist you in completing the required application for a Social Security number and in making appointments with, and transportation to, the Social Security Administration Office.


It takes about two weeks to receive a Social Security card.  However, once a student has been assigned a social security number from the Administration, the student may complete hiring paperwork with Human Resources and, once "cleared to work", may begin working on campus. 

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an off-campus employment option available to F-1 students when the training (i.e. internship or employment) is considered an integral part of the established curriculum and directly related to the student’s major.  “Training” refers to paid or unpaid work/study experience, internship, or cooperative education.Please read the CPT Recommendation Form [docx] that will provide you with further information about the application process, requirements and authorization signatures. 

Once this form is completed, with all required signatures please submitted it to Allison Musser, Experiential Program Manager at




Career Development Office

Social Media