Bookmark and Share
  • Text +
  • Text -

Transitioning at Scripps College

While Scripps College is a Women’s College, we believe that our mission is to empower those who face gender discrimination, and is thus inclusive of trans* identities. No Scripps student will lose their eligibility to attend or graduate from Scripps College by coming out or transitioning.


Scripps College does not currently have gender-neutral housing, although many of the residence halls have gender-neutral restrooms. Contact Sam Haynes, Interim Director of Residence Life, to discuss campus housing options.

Name Change

While your legal name cannot be changed except by court order, it is possible to have your preferred name appear on class rosters, on Sakai (the Course Management Software used by Scripps), and in your email username. To request a preferred name, fill out the Additional/Preferred Name request form at the Scripps Registrar’s Office. The Registrar’s Office will add your preferred name to the Scripps student information system and communicate your request to Information Technology Services and other administrative offices. Updates typically take about two weeks to process. Please be mindful that your name appears in many places, and your legal name is the default for official College records, including your transcript. If you have questions or problems in requesting a preferred name, please stop by the Registrar’s Office or call them at 909-621-8273.