What is the secondary application?
In addition to completing the Pomona application, which you can download from the OSA website, you must complete the “secondary application,” or the application generated by your study abroad program’s provider. (For example, students applying to the Middlebury program in Buenos Aires must complete the Middlebury study abroad application, in addition to the standard Pomona application.)
There are two exceptions to this procedure:
1. Some programs do not require a secondary application, therefore the Pomona application alone will suffice. These programs are:
2. Some programs require a secondary application, but the program sponsor requires the OSA to mail in the application on the students' behalf. These programs are:
Cape Town: Globalization
UCL Molecular Biology
Applicants for all other programs must submit the secondary application to the program provider directly by the program’s application deadline.
REMEMBER: All students must submit a Pomona study abroad application regardless of whether the program to which they're application requires a secondary application.
Completing the Secondary Application
1. Complete the application form, which can be found on your program provider's website.
Many program providers prefer that students complete the application on-line. If you complete an on-line application, be sure to keep copies of any supporting documents that may need to be mailed in separately.
2. Even if you apply on-line, there are some items you will need to send via regular mail (if you complete a paper copy of the application, include these items together when you send to your program provider):
a) Official Transcript: you can request an official transcript from the Registrar’s Office.
b) Study Abroad Advisor Approval Form: this must be completed by the Study Abroad Office.
c) Letters of Recommendation: the professor writing your letters of recommendation should provide you with two letters in separate, sealed envelopes: one for your Pomona application, and one for you to send to your program provider.
d) Foreign Language Evaluation: programs for which coursework will be conducted in another language will often require a foreign language evaluation. This may be completed by the same language professor who completes the language evaluation for your Pomona application, but he/she must complete both evaluations; one form can not substitute another.
e) Photos: in addition to the three photos the Pomona application requires, many secondary applications require photos. These may be taken in the Office of Campus Life. Certain programs impose size or content requirements on photos, so please follow instructions carefully.
f) Additional Forms and/or Copies: please read application instructions carefully and submit all necessary forms and photocopies of documents as the program provider requests.
3. Do not pay any application fee.
The Office of Study Abroad will pay your application fee on your behalf.
4. It is your responsibility to mail in your secondary application by the provider’s application deadline.
Be mindful of this date as you complete the application. Any programs which offer rolling admissions may fill up sooner rather than later, so it is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible for those programs.
5. Remember that you may only apply to one study abroad program.
6. Remember that your acceptance into the program is contingent upon approval from both the program provider and the Study Abroad Committee (SAC) at Pomona College.
Students must have approval from both the SAC and the program provider to participate in the program.