Disposal Sites

Recycling Bins

The City of Claremont has co-mingled, single-stream recycling. That means that everything recyclable goes into the same bin, including:

  • Plastics #1-7 including cups, plastic bags and film, plastic packaging, and six-pack rings (almost all plastic items!). Look for the triangle symbol on the bottom - if it has #1-7 in it, throw it in! This includes some Styrofoam items, so keep an eye out!
  • Aluminum, steel, and tin including cans, foil, and trays.
  • Glass
  • Paper and cardboard including newspaper, corrugated cardboard, cereal boxes, magazines, telephone books, mailing envelopes with bubble lining, and paper bags (staples and envelopes with plastic windows are okay!)
  • Packaging including milk cartons, wine boxes, and egg cartons.

Recycling Center

The Smith Campus Center Recycling Center is located in the Mailroom area and takes:

  • Batteries
  • Small electronics including cell phones, computer accessories, CFLs and other fluorescent bulbs, and anything that plugs in
  • CDs and DVDs
  • Printer ink cartridges
  • Brita water filter cartridges
  • Cardboard boxes


Compost must be brought to composting locations (see map above); it is not picked up by Housekeeping or any other department on campus. Compostable items include:


  • Produce scraps (vegetable and fruit scraps, peels, rinds, seeds, etc.)
  • Vegan food scraps (no meat or dairy)
  • Green waste (flowers, leaves, etc.)
  • Light paper products (napkins, tissues)
  • Compostable plastic bags (such as those used by Challah for Hunger)
  • Compostable plates, takeout boxes, silverware (ONLY if chipper is up and working - ask Farm staff before dropping off)


  • Non-vegan food scraps (meat, eggs, cheese, etc.)
  • Biodegradable/compostable plastic items (e.g. Spudware) - they must be chipped separately at the Farm first. 

    Donate to ReCoopOFFICE or ReCoop!

    ReCoopOFFICE provides free exchange of surplus office goods, including furniture and appliances. ReCoop collects unwanted items and either sells them back to students or donates them to local community organizations.

    See the ReCoop website for more information about both of these programs!

    Hazardous Waste and Electronic Waste

    Hazardous and electronic wastes should NEVER be placed in normal trash receptacles! Items that can't be disposed of at the SCC Recycling Center (e.g. items too large to fit in these containers) should be brought to the parking lot behind Mudd-Blaisdell and placed in the white dumpster or otherwise labeled receptacles. Items to dispose of here include:

    • Paint and paint-like products
    • Motor oil
    • Broken electronic equipment (e.g. computers, TVs, printers) - if it still works, donate it to ReCoop!

    Computer Equipment

    All computer equipment belonging to the College should be disposed of through ITS. Other electronic equipment, including computer peripherals, should be disposed of as explained in the section above.


    All medications, whether over-the-counter or prescription, should be disposed of as hazardous waste.


    If you have a bike to get rid of, donate it to Green Bikes! They will spiff it up and loan it out to Pomona students in the future. Bring your unwanted bike to the Green Bikes Shop during shop hours.