Dear New Student,
Welcome! As a student at Pomona, you are now a part of the effort to make our campus more sustainable! Pomona has a strong history of environmental stewardship, and there are many opportunities for you to be involved. This letter is to inform you of a few sustainability features intended to help your transition onto campus and beyond. Feel free to peruse the rest of this website to find out more about our programs and what you can do to help.
ReCoop Fall Sale -- used goods at low prices!
Avoid the expense and hassle of purchasing brand new items to deck out your room -- check the ReCoop Fall Sale first! A wide variety of used items are for sale at low prices on move-in day, all donated by students at the end of last semester. ReCoop aims to promote values of responsible living, social responsibility, and reuse within the Pomona College community.
Items for sale include:
- power strips
- plastic storage bins
- school supplies (binders, notebooks, pens, pencils, sticky notes, whiteboards, corkboards, etc.)
- cleaning supplies (brooms, Swiffers, laundry detergent, etc.)
- kitchen supplies (pots, pans, plates, bowls, cups, reusable bottles, utensils, etc.)
- room decorations (posters, lights, etc.)
- couches and armchairs
- clothes hangers (free)
Drying Rack & Compost Bucket Checkout
Save Claremont Cash and energy in the laundry room by hanging your clothes up to dry. Most laundry rooms on campus have clotheslines installed, but you can check out your own personal drying rack from the Sustainability Integration Office for the duration of the semester. There will be several checkout opportunities during the first week of school, including at the ReCoop Fall Sale -- one-stop shopping! Small compost buckets will also be available for checkout so you can dispose of apple cores, coffee grinds, and other vegan leftovers responsibly.
Pomona's Green Bikes program loans a fleet of approximately 100 bikes to students free of charge on a semester basis via lottery. Green Bikes provides free bike tune-ups and labor for repairs, as well as bike parts at cost. Ample bike parking is provided throughout campus, and the College recommends purchasing a high quality U-lock to reduce the risk of bike theft.
You should also know...
- All rooms come with full-length mirror, and most come with a whiteboard.
- Free CFLs are available from the Sustainability Integration Office and will be offered at the ReCoop Fall Sale.
- Talk to your roommate, if you have one, to be sure you don't duplicate appliances.
- All residence halls include a kitchen with a fridge, microwave, stove, oven, and sink that all are welcome to use.
- If you decide to purchase a fridge, microwave, television, speakers, or other electronic appliances, we encourage you to purchase products that bear the Energy Star label, a certification awarded by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to products that use less energy, save money, and are better for the environment.
- A power strip will come in handy to allow you to fully shut off all electronic devices in your room at once, eliminating the "phantom load" of electricity many of them consume even in stand-by mode.
Once you arrive on campus we hope you will join in our effort to make Pomona a leader in campus sustainability. Simple things such as recycling, buying used or recycled products, and always remembering to switch off your lights when you don't need them will go a long way towards reducing our impact on the environment.
Check out the rest of the website to find out more about sustainability efforts on campus and what you can do to get involved. We look forward to meeting you soon!
Laura Carr '13
Sustainability Integration Office