If You Are Inside a Building:
- Move away from windows, filing cabinets, shelves, chemicals and other heavy objects which may fall.
- Immediately “Duck, cover, and hold”:
- Duck under a table or sturdy desk and hold on to it until shaking stops.
- If you are not near a table or sturdy desk,crouch against an interior wall or between seating rows in auditoriums, and cover your neck and head.
- If you stand in a doorway, brace yourself against the frame, with your back to the door.
- Wheelchair users should move to the safest location, apply the break, and cover their head with arms.
- Stay under cover until shaking has stopped.
- Once shaking has stopped, leave the building. If possible, put on a pair of comfortable shoes (not flip flops) as there could be broken debris. Take your keys, wallet, flashlight and any other small, necessary items such as medicine. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS!
- Report to the building evacuation site [pdf] and wait for instructions. Report any hazards to the Building Coordinator.
- Do not re-enter the building until given permission by the College’s Emergency Response Team.
If You Are Outside:
- Move away from buildings, trees, signs, electrical poles and wires.
- Protect your head from falling debris.
- If you are near a Pomona College emergency evacuation site, report to that Building or Area Coordinator. This will be the best place to get further information on what to do.
BE PREPARED FOR AFTERSHOCKS