Pomona College Commencement
The 2014 Commencement ceremony took place on Sunday, May 18. See below for archived speeches and photos, and visit back in a few months for information on the 2015 Commencement.
Please visit our archived Commencement sections to view videos and photos and read speeches from past Commencements.
- 2014: Valerie Jarrett, senior advisor to President Barack Obama; Father Gregory Boyle, executive director of Homeboy Industries; tenor, conductor and Los Angeles Opera General Director Plácido Domingo; and Michael Starbird ’70, author and professor of mathematics at The University of Texas at Austin more>>
- 2013: Steve Jobs author and Aspen Institute CEO and President Walter Isaacson; philanthropist Ranney Draper '60; Guttmacher Institute CEO and President Sharon L. Camp '65 more>>
- 2012: U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan Cameron Munter; educator Marigold Linton; jazz musician David Murray '77; and Occidental College President Jonathan Veitch. more>>
- 2011: U.S. Department of Energy Secretary Steven Chu; school reform advocate and President and CEO of the Alliance for College-Ready Public Schools Judy Ivie Burton; astronomer and Griffith Observatory Director Edwin Krupp ’66; and journalist and best-selling author Douglas Preston ’78. more>>
- 2010: Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano; Price Club co-founder, CEO and president of PriceSmart and philanthropist Robert Price '64; and Oscar-winning screenwriter Robert Towne '56 (Chinatown). more>>
- 2009: New York Times columnist and author Bob Herbert; Chicago Tribune columnist, "Brenda Star" writer and "Wear Sunglasses" column author Mary Schmich '75; and Chicano/a theatre legend Luis Valdez, playwright/director of "Zoot Suit" and director/writer of "La Bamba." more>>
- 2008: Oscar-award winning documentarian Alex Gibney (Taxi to the Dark Side, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room; former Pomona College President Peter Stanley; award-winning composer and conductor and former musical director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Esa-Pekka Salonen; and Ingrid D. Rowland ’74, professor at the University of Notre Dame School of Architecture in Rome, and author. more>>
- 2007: Former Sen. Bob Graham (D-Florida); Mary Patterson McPherson, president emeritus of Bryn Mawr College and executive officer of the American Philosophical Society.; Dr. Robert E. Tranquada, M.D., '51, former chairman of the Board of Overseers of the Claremont University Consortium (2000-2006), chairman emeritus of the Board of Trustees of Pomona College and emeritus trustee of the Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences. more>>
- 2006: Eileen Wilson-Oyelaran '69, president of Kalamazoo College in Michigan; Rev. William Sloane Coffin Jr. (honored posthumously,) a renowned peace activist and former civil rights leader; Thomas Crow '69, internationally recognized art historian and director of the Getty Research Institute; and Robert Mezey, recipient of the Trustee Medal of Merit, award-winning poet, and professor of English and poet-in-residence at Pomona College (1976-1999). more>>
- 2005: Huntington Library President Steven Koblik; leading civil rights attorney John Payton '73; and Thomas Dean Pollard, M.D., '64, the chair of Yale’s University's Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology. more>>