Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the function of the Office of Foundation and Corporate Relations?
A: F&CR stands for "Foundation and Corporate Relations." The focus of this department is to encourage grant seeking activities, both faculty and institutional, at Pomona College. Given F&CR's general awareness of faculty projects from all disciplines, we help you make connections to other research projects on campus of which you may not be aware. The F&CR office primarily works on institutional grants from private foundations, as well as on consortial grants, and it seeks corporate donations to meet the College's priorities. The office's staff consists of director (Martina Ebert) and administrative assistant (Tricia French).
Q: What types of support does the F&CR office offer and to whom?
A: The F&CR staff is happy to help any member of the Pomona community submit a grant proposal that, if funded, will benefit Pomona. The services we offer include, but are not limited to:
- Researching and identifying possible funding sources;
- Assisting with proposal writing (You will always be the expert on what information is presented, but often we can help strengthen your proposal with suggestions on framing and organization.);
- Proofreading, editing, and providing feedback on draft proposals;
- Providing models of successful proposals;
- Providing/researching statistical information about Pomona students, courses, alumni/ae, and other institutional data;
- Connecting people on campus to others who may be able to serve as a resource;
- Determining indirect costs and benefits rates;
- Photocopying grant application components and submitting proposals;
- Serving as a liaison with the Academic Dean's Office and the Business Office.
Q: Where is the F&CR office?
A: The office is located on the second floor of Alexander Hall for Administration, 550 North College Avenue. Feel free to stop by anytime.
Q: Should I contact the F&CR office when I intend to write a grant proposal to a private foundation?
A: Yes, absolutely! The F&CR office coordinates with the Dean's Office to keep a master list of all grant activities (submitted and funded), including all deadlines. F&CR also coordinates institutional requests with funding requests by individual faculty members. It is important that you inform this office of your intent to apply for funding.
If you have any questions, please call Ext. 18141. We will be happy to help in any way that we can.