Pomona College Celebrates the 47th Year of 47 on April 7
Watch the Video
47 on Pomona.edu
- The Mystery of 47, our seminal article explaining the history and mystery of 47
- The Star Trek Connection to 47
- 47 Things Every Sagehen Should Do Before Graduating
2011 is a landmark year for Pomona College's favorite number, 47. In 1964--47 years ago--in our own Millikan Laboratory, two intrepid mathematical pioneers set out to prove that 47 shows up randomly in nature more often than any other number.
Since that time, 47 has taken hold of the collective imagination of Sagehens. We find instances of 47 on campus, notice when a purchase amount ends in 47 cents, and search for 47 mentions in pop culture (which may have been placed there by creative alumni).
To celebrate the 47th birthday of 47, we've created a new online home for 47 that includes our seminal article on the subject, "The Mystery of 47," and a new video tribute to our favorite prime number. And on April 7--that is, 4/7/11 or 4+7 = 11--Pomona is recognizing the birthday with celebrations on campus and with giveaways and 47 trivia on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
On April 7, visit Smith Campus Center for the following giveaways, contests and goodies:
- At the Coop Fountain, every 47th customer gets a coupon for a free shake, day-old bagels only $0.47, and special 47-themed cupcakes and brownies will be on sale.
- Every 47th customer get a Cecil stuffed doll at the Coop Store. You can also stop by and read up on the history of 47 at Pomona.
- At the mailroom, every student mailbox ending in “47” will receive a coupon for a free shake from the Coop.
- Find hidden "47s" around the Smith Campus Center and take it to the SCC Office (Suite 244) for a prize! You can also stop by for free 47-themed brownies (while supplies last) and the 47th customer receives a free Laemmle movie ticket.
- Stop by the Sagehen Café from 12 to 1 p.m. for free 47 birthday cake and brownies.
- Listen to KSPC Radio for giveaways. On the 47th minute of every hour (from noon to midnight) there will be giveaways for callers and IM-ers.