The Outdoor Education Center Presents the Reel Rock 7 Film Festival on Nov. 17
The Outdoor Education Center of Pomona College will present the film festival, “REEL ROCK 7,” a collection of movies about climbing. The festival will be held Saturday, Nov. 17 at 8 p.m. in Rose Hills Theatre (Smith Campus Center, 170 E. Sixth St., Claremont). Tickets for the festival are $10 for Claremont Colleges ID holders and $15 general admission and can be purchased at the Outdoor Education Center (OEC) in Pomona Hall (601 Amherst Ave., Claremont). Prior to the screening there will be an open house at the OEC at 6 p.m, with music and food. There is no cost to attend the open house.
The following films will be screened:
- The Dura Dura: The “king” of sport climbing Chris
Sharma and wunderkind Adam Ondra battle to establish
the world's first 5.15c, while Sasha DiGiulian and Daila Ojeda shred women's
standards with strong ascents of their own.
- The Shark’s Fin: In 2008 Conrad Anker, with Jimmy Chin and Renan Ozturk, endured a grueling 18-day push to get within hundreds of feet of The Shark's Fin, an unclimbed granite buttress on the 6,310 meter Mt. Meru, in India, only to be turned back. Three years later, the trio returns.
- Wide Boys: British offwidth climbers Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker cross the pond to climb wide cracks in the West—including the first ascent of the world's hardest offwidth, Century Crack.
- Honnold 3.0: Alex Honnold, known as the boldest soloist of his generation, tries to balance ambition with self-preservation as he prepares for his biggest adventure yet—the Yosemite Triple. In less than 19 hours he climbs Mt. Watkins, El Capitan and Half Dome, 95 percent of it free solo.
The film festival trailer can be viewed at: http://reelrocktour.com/.
During the festival intermission there will be a raffle for prizes, including chalk bags, headlamps, a harness, a Mt. Baldy lift ticket and Hangar 18 indoor rock climbing passes.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or (909) 607-2531. Visit the Facebook pages for both events:
- Open House http://www.facebook.com/events/268005996655404/
- Reel Rock Film Tour http://www.facebook.com/events/371184269628905
We welcome responses to stories on the Pomona College Web. Please respect the opinions of others who may disagree with you. If you notice an objectionable comment (see our commenting policy), please flag it to bring it to our attention.