Leave Application Instructions
A unique link to the web application will be emailed to all faculty members at the beginning of the Fall semester. The on-line application is comprised of: attachments (PDF or Word Docs) to upload, selecting answers from a drop down boxes, and a few questions that require short text answers. Application check list of attachments and required information is provided below.
- Semester(s)/Period and Type of Leave you are requesting (drop down selection box)
- 1 to 2-sentence summary (up to 600 characters with spaces) of your leave plan
- Information pertaining to at least one External Grant Application (required for subvention requests and Steele leaves)
- Name of Foundation or Granting Agency
Amount of Funding Request
Deadline to Apply
External grant proposal(s) as a PDF or Word Doc – (if already submitted)
- Description of accomplishments from last leave
- List of publications, exhibitions, etc. resulting from last leave
- Purpose and plan of study for the requested leave describing the significance of the project and methodology
- Current CV
- Department Chair Letter – attached OR emailed separately to Tony Boston (email@example.com).
Leave Application Deadlines
Members of the faculty who wish to apply for sabbatical leaves, Steele leaves, or leaves without pay for either or both semesters of the 2018-19 academic year, or for the entire 2019 calendar year, must submit an on-line application by October 11, 2017. (Applications for one-semester leaves in fall 2019 should be submitted in 2018.) Because of the extensive approval process and the date of the Trustees' meeting at which formal approval is given, it is very important to meet this deadline. Applications received after the deadline ("late leave requests") will not be considered. A deadline in the Fall term preceding the year of a requested leave permits orderly planning for possible faculty replacements by the Dean's Office staff. Just as important, it enables faculty to submit applications for outside funding well ahead of a planned sabbatical. Please note that you must submit a formal leave request whether or not you have secured sources of external funding to support your proposed leave.
The deadline for notifying the Dean's Office about whether an approved leave will not be taken is January 12, 2018. This deadline enables budget planning processes for staffing to proceed smoothly.