Sophomore Reorientation, February 1, 2020
Trail to Your Future
For information about this year's event and to RSVP click here.
What Is Sophomore Reorientation?
The CDO, with support from the DOS office and Sophomore Class Committee, hosts an annual “reorientation” program for sophomores, which encourages them to reflect on their time at Pomona, learn about upcoming opportunities, and connect with current and past Sagehens. Scheduled for Saturday, February 1, 2020, this year’s event will inspire and support sophomores through an afternoon of engaging activities, culminating in an alumni networking reception (please see the schedule below for more details).
Why Should I Attend?
Sandwiched between the discovery of freshman year and the opportunities and important choices of junior and senior year, sophomores can sometimes feel like the forgotten class. It’s a year when some students experience the “Sophomore Slump,” feeling disillusioned, aimless, or even contemplate leaving college. Yet sophomore year is a critical time academically and professionally. Sophomores need to choose their majors, explore on- and off-campus opportunities, and learn about post-graduation options—all of which can seem daunting.
Recognizing these challenges, the CDO created Sophomore Reorientation to help sophomores take advantage of their remaining time at Pomona and beyond. Through presentations, panel discussions, and networking events, students will develop a stronger sense of their goals and the steps needed to achieve them.
Who Can Attend?
While intended for sophomores, Pomona students of any class year are welcome to participate in the day’s activities, particularly the alumni reception. However, we do ask that all attendees check-in at the beginning of the event.
Rose Hills Theater & Millikan Laboratory
Rose Hills Theater Lobby
12:30-1:45 p.m. - Opening Event: Keynote Address (President Starr) & Panel Discussion: Maximizing Your Sophomore Year, Rose Hills Theater
*Refreshments will be served
2:00-2:50 p.m. - Breakout Session #1
- Internships & PCIP Student Panel, Millikan 1249
- Study Abroad Overview & Senior Panel, Millikan 1181
- Fellowships & Scholarships Student Panel, Millikan 1021
3:00-3:50 p.m. - Breakout Session #2
- Internships in Consulting, Finance, & Technology, Millikan 1249
- Finding Balance and Maintaining Wellness (MCAPS), Millikan 2141
- Preparing for Medical, Law, & Graduate School
Fireside Chats (20 min each at 3:00 p.m. and repeating at 3:25 p.m.)
- Medical School – Millikan 2099
- Law School – Millikan 2393
- Graduate School – Millikan 2113
4:00-4:50 p.m. - Alumni Panels
- Alumni in Medicine & Biotechnology, Millikan 2141
- Alumni in Consulting, Finance, & Technology, Millikan 1181
- Alumni in Policy, Education, & Non-Profits, Millikan 2131
- Alumni in Arts, Entertainment, & Media, Millikan 1249
5:00-6:00 p.m. - Reception with Alumni
Millikan West Lobby
*Refreshments will be served
Event Panelists Information
Opening Event - Panel Discussion: Maximizing Your Sophomore Year:
• Ebere Amadi - Sophomore Class President
• Wanda Gibson - Deputy Director of the CDO and Assistant Dean
• Sharon Goto - Professor of Psychological Science and Asian American Studies
• Tulika Mohan - Senior Student
• Anthony Ferreria (Moderator) - Assistant Dean of Students
Alumni in Medicine & Biotechnology:
• John Vorhies - Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon, Lucile Packard Children's Hosp.Stanford
• Molly Mosher - Systems Integration Research Engineer II, Singular Genomics
• Roger Ong - Internist, Kaiser Permanente
Alumni in Consulting, Finance, & Technology:
• Chris Byington - Vice President of Data, Updater
• Aaron Davis - VP of Product Management, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
• Peter Kim - Consultant, Strategy & Operations, Deloitte Consulting
• Uday Singh - Associate Consultant, Mercer
Alumni in Policy, Education, & Non-Profits:
• James Aceron, - Sr. Management Analyst, Fiscal Operations Division, LAPD
• Bryan Coreas - GEAR UP Site Coordinator, Think Together
• Jacqueline Fernandez - Program Analyst, Vera Institute of Justice
• Mercedes Fitchett- JCIDS Program Manager,USINDOPACOM, U.S. Dept of Defense
• Nathalie Folkerts - Engagement & Outreach, LA Homeless Services Authority
Alumni in Arts, Entertainment, & Media:
• Mira Howard - COO, WRAPPED Fine Art
• Caitlyn Hynes - Co-Producer, DLP Media Group
• Jewel Mensah - Social Media Manager, Cloud Imperium Games