What Types of Questions Should I Ask an Interviewer?
It is essential that you have two or three questions for the interviewer. In most cases you will be able to ask questions during the interview. Some employers may request that you save any questions until the end. Ask questions that truly concern you. These could relate to the management style of your prospective boss, current employees' assessments of their competitors and of the organization's competitive position, opportunities for advancement, or more about the company culture and expectations. The following samples can help you get started.
- How many individuals complete your training program each year?
- When does the training program begin?
- What is the length and structure of the training program?
- Do most trainees advance fairly rapidly through the training program?
- What career paths have others generally followed after completing the training program?
- How do the position and the department contribute to the overall company mission and philosophy?
- What is a typical day (assignment) for a ___________ in your company?
- What characteristics best describe the individuals who are successful in this position?
- Does the position offer exposure to other facets of your organization?
- What other positions and/or departments will I interact with most?
- To whom does this position report?
Performance Evaluations & Advancement Questions
- How much decision-making authority and autonomy is given to new employees?
- How will my performance be evaluated?
- How often are performance reviews given? By whom?
- What are the opportunities for advancement?
- Does your organization encourage its employees to pursue additional education?
Company Culture & Industry Questions
- How would you describe the organizational culture/environment?
- What makes your organization different from its competitors?
- What industry-wide trends are likely to affect your organization?
- What are your organization's strengths and weaknesses?
Management Style Questions
- How would you describe your organization's personality and management style?
- How is the work environment affected by the organization's management style?
- How would you describe your management style? How do you motivate your team members?