What Should I Wear?
What is appropriate for your interview depends on your industry and the opportunity you’re applying for. Also, know that you can choose attire that reflects your style and personality while also dressing appropriately for your interview.
Here are some tips to consider:
- Research the organization and view their materials/website for clues on the organization's culture. For instance, conservative business fields (i.e., management consulting, investment banking) will expect a suit, while fields like entertainment, technology, or non-profits may accept business casual or casual interview attire.
- Dress slightly above what the position might require.
- Hair should be groomed and away from your face.
- Avoid cologne, perfume or strong scent that may distract your interviewers.
- Jewelry should be kept to a minimum.
- Shoes should be newer, clean and polished.
- Clothes should be pressed and clean, fit well and be comfortable.
- If in doubt, play it safe and go with a more traditional look.
- Choose an outfit that you like and will feel comfortable to sit and talk.
Remember, the CDO is here to help! You are always welcome to bring your interview clothes into the office for feedback.