LinkedIn - Career Exploration and Networking Online
LinkedIn is the world's largest professional networking site that allows you to explore possible career paths, identify and connect with alumni and other potential networking contacts, research companies, and join professional interest groups.
Create and update your LinkedIn profile
First impressions are important and your LinkedIn profile is often the first link that will appear in a Google search for your name. Make sure your online presence matches the quality of your resume. Uploading your most current resume to your LinkedIn profile is a great place to start. For assistance in creating your online profile, follow these tips from LinkedIn or come into the CDO for Drop-in Advising to polish up your resume and LinkedIn profile.
At minimum, your LinkedIn profile should include:
- Appropriate professional looking headshot (LinkedIn PROFILE PHOTOS OPS Tuesdays and Wednesdays in the CDO!)
- Summary of who you are and why you're on LinkedIn
- Listing of your experience with detailed descriptions - not all experience has to be a paid job!
- Pomona College in your education section with your major course of study (if declared)
- Key skills and expertise
Search for Alumni on LinkedIn
Want to know how to specifically search for Pomona College alumni and students that you would like to connect with on LinkedIn? The Office of Alumni and Parent Engagement created a video that walks you through the entire process. Watch the video and learn how to connect with thousands of other Sagehens or people you are affiliated with from other institutions who share your interests.
Joining LinkedIn Groups allows you to
- Identify key issues and discussions in groups and fields of interest
- Follow influential people in your groups by checking the Top Influencers board
- Connect with people who have similar interests and experience
- Explore career fields and paths; connect with alumni
Pomona College LinkedIn Groups you may want to join:
Pomona College Career Connections
This group is a networking forum you to connect with the broader Pomona college community –alumni, faculty, parents, and other friends of the college. You can explore careers, share information, network, and support one another in your career direction and paths. You are encouraged to utilize the discussion feature to ask a question of other group members, connect for networking, provide advice, or get/give a lead on an internship or job opportunity.
Pomona College Alumni
The Pomona College Alumni group on LinkedIn supports the establishment of professional relationships among Pomona College alumni for the purposes of networking, recruiting, job searching, socializing and sharing business opportunities.
The CDO offers regular workshops on networking and using social media. Check the calendar for upcoming events. The staff is available to assist you in learning to network effectively.