Fall 2020 Update
Pomona College students who are enrolled full-time for Fall 2020 may apply for PCIP. Incoming first-year/transfer students are eligible after completing one semester.
In light of the ongoing pandemic, the CDO will continue to *only* accept REMOTE opportunities that are SECURED at the time you apply for PCIP.
The PCIP application is now open via FluidReview and will close on Friday, September 4, 2020 at 11:59pm PT.
"I learned a great deal about the inner workings of a legal organization, but I would say specifically the one skill I honed the most was in relation to creating a standardized training guide for new hires"
"I'm potentially interested in pursuing freelance documentary filmmaking in collaboration with on-the ground nonprofit work. I learned that it requires full immersion and dedication in a way that's expected of typical jobs. "Freelance" typically gives the impression of being able to do whatever, whenever but when it's with a community organization that's already doing so much, it's more like a full-time commitment."
"I was fortunate enough to join the firm in their due-diligence and closing process. Some analysts can go several years without ever be part of a live deal, let alone one that closes so rapidly, so I was extremely grateful to have been a part of my first closed transaction that I will take with me as I start my career post-graduation."
Developed in 1976, PCIP: Semester provides students with a generous stipend to pursue part-time, unpaid experiential learning opportunities with employers in Los Angeles and the Inland Empire.
Students who successfully complete their internships & required program assignments also receive transcript notation.
In the fall’19 - spring’20 academic year, 184 students participated in the program & pursued a variety of experiential learning opportunities across a range of industries. Internship sites included non-profits, start-ups, medical service centers, local businesses, and research institutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you fulfill the following criteria, you can apply for PCIP: Semester for Fall 2020:
- Completed at least one semester (Pomona College unofficial transcript required for PCIP application)
- Enrolled full-time at Pomona College for Fall 2020
- Good academic standing (not on academic probation)
- CPT eligible (applicable to F-1 International Students, only)
- Secured a PCIP-eligible internship (For Fall 2020, PCIP-eligible means the internship must be remote/virtual, unpaid, and that you aren't receiving credit for it via a major/program)
- Can fulfill 70-hour semester commitment to internship
Note: F-1 International Students are only eligible for CPT after completing one academic year at the college + declaring a major. F-1 International Students must also be able to provide an ITIN or SSN to fill out the W8 form in order to receive the PCIP stipend.
Undocumented & DACA-mented students are welcome to apply.
How do I Apply?
Important: Applications for PCIP: Semester funding close early -- typically 2-3 weeks into the semester.
The PCIP: Semester application is accessed via Fluid Review and requires the following items:
- Resume (the one used to apply to your internship opportunity)
- Cover Letter (the one used to apply to your internship opportunity)
- Video Interview
- Official Offer Letter from Employer (not negotiable; internships must be secured at time of application)
- Unofficial Transcript
- W9/W8-BEN form
- Pomona College Direct Deposit Form
- Bank Documentation for Direct Deposit
Please make note of the following:
- All materials must be submitted through Fluid Review.
- All applications & associated materials will be reviewed by CDO staff.
- No late applications or materials will be reviewed.
- Students will be notified of funding decisions within 2 weeks from the application deadline.
- Payments take approximately 10 business days to process.
- Payments tend to be delayed by mistakes in funding paperwork: incorrect SSN, no bank documentation, missing account/routing numbers. When submitting an application, please ensure all forms are correctly and completely filled out.
What is the Application Deadline?
Applications for PCIP: Semester funding close approximately two-three weeks after the start of classes. In order to apply for funding, students must have already secured an eligible internship opportunity for the semester they intend to intern.
The application for PCIP: Semester funding for Fall 2020 internships will open on Monday, August 3, 2020 and will close on Friday, September 4, 2020 at 11:59pm PT. As a reminder, opportunities must be remote/virtual AND secured in order to apply.
How much funding can I receive?
Students will receive a $1,000 stipend that is disbursed in two payments of $500: one at the middle of the semester and one at the end of the semester. All PCIP funding is disbursed via direct deposit and contingent on students completing required internship hours & semester assignments. Please note that PCIP funding is not intended to replace wages. Instead, the funding is meant to help alleviate supplemental costs associated with pursuing an unpaid internship during the course of the semester.
Important: Students must commit to working a minimum of 70 internship hours during the semester.
Tax Implications: Based on the size of your stipend and the items you spend the money on, there may be tax implications. The IRS considers the award as income to the recipient. When filing tax returns, it may be required to report the amount of the award. Please consult a tax professional with any questions or assistance. Visit the Financial Aid website to learn more.
PCIP: Semester Policy
Students receiving PCIP funding are expected to represent Pomona College with integrity in all off-campus conduct. This includes abiding by the regulations and expectations (e.g. dress code, modes of communication, office conduct, etc.) set in place by your employer.
Funding decisions are at the discretion of the Assistant Director of Experiential Learning and the Career Development Office.
Unpaid Internships Only
The CDO uses the definition of internships provided by the National Association of Colleges & Employers (NACE):
An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting.
- Provide "real-world" experience beyond the classroom.
- Involve reciprocity, i.e., a mutually beneficial experience for both the student and the internship provider.
- Include a high level of supervision, training, and mentoring.
Shadowing experiences are ineligible for PCIP funding.
New Internship Experience Each Semester
Students must have secured a new internship experience each semester they apply for funding.
- Students returning to the same employer, in the same position/role will not receiving funding.
- Students returning to the same employer, but in a new position/role or with increasing responsibility is ok.
70 Hour Minimum
Students receiving PCIP funding are required to complete at least 70 hours at their internship over the course of the semester. Students & supervisors are encouraged to keep a log of hours completed.
Students should also account for holidays, midterms, finals, and any other planned absences when creating their internship schedule with their supervisor(s).
Failure or refusal to complete the 70 hour minimum will result in termination of funding, loss of transcript notation, and will be considered in any future application for PCIP funding.
Semester Assignments in Sakai
Students receiving PCIP funding must complete all required program assignments (available via Sakai). Failure or refusal to submit timely, quality, PCIP assignments will result in the termination of funding, loss of transcript notation, and will be considered in any future application for PCIP funding.
The following opportunities are ineligible for PCIP: Semester funding:
- Paid opportunities
- Shadowing experiences
- Opportunities that are a requirement of a major/program (i.e. mandatory PPA internships for seniors in the fall semester)
- Opportunities where you'll be receiving Pomona College course credit
- Opportunities where you'll be receiving additional funding support (i.e. CDO Pre-Health Transportation Subsidy)
- Opportunities with any fee component (tuition, room/board, etc)
- Independent projects with no supervision, program, or structure in place
- Non-credit courses or training programs
- Pomona College or other 7C-based opportunities (opportunities must be external & organized/administered by the employer/company/organization)
- Opportunities run by current undergraduate students
Finding an Internship
Unsure of where or how to start? Make a virtual appointment with a counselor via Handshake. If you would like to view a list of employers that have hired students in past semesters, visit the PCIP: Semester Resource Page in Handshake.
In previous semesters we referred to employers that hired students via PCIP as "PCIP Partners" & internships they posted in Handshake were labeled as "PCIP-Only." In response to concerns over exclusivity, fairness, & access across the 7C community, we will no longer label internships posted by employers as "PCIP-only." Instead, such opportunities will be labeled as "PCIP-eligible." The label will simply serve as a quick way for Pomona students to identify any eligible internships for PCIP: Semester funding.