- Preliminary Application: The Preliminary Application for British/Irish scholarships is now closed.
- Internal Application: The internal application with all supporting materials (see details below) must be submitted through SurveyMonkey Apply ( https://apply-pomonacdo.smapply.io/) by August 26, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. PDT. Recommendations are also due on this date and must be emailed to Fellowships@pomona.edu.
- National Deadline: The competition's national deadline is September 28, 2021 by 5 p.m. PDT.
The Marshall Scholarship Program provides the opportunity for graduate study in the U.K. to 40 intellectually distinguished young Americans. The program was created to honor the ideals of the Marshall Plan, which aided the recovery of Europe after World War II.
The Scholarship supports two years of graduate study in almost any field leading to one or two degrees at any UK institution or institutions of higher education. The Marshall Scholarship may no longer be used to complete a second undergraduate degree. It is possible to pursue two different one-year master's degrees, not necessarily at the same university. There are also opportunities for extension of the award in order to complete a PhD, which is often a 3-year program in the UK. The award covers tuition and fees, airfare, living expenses, and related expenses.
Candidates must be U.S. citizens when they apply, and for fall 2020 application must either be current seniors or have graduated from an accredited four-year college or university in the U.S. after April 2018. The minimum eligible undergraduate is GPA 3.7 (11.1); however, Marshall Scholars in recent years tend to have close-to-perfect GPAs.
The Marshall Commission seeks candidates of keen intellect and broad outlook. Selection committees look for distinction of intellect as evidenced both by scholastic attainments and demonstrated leadership. Preference is given to candidates who combine high academic ability with a capacity to play an active part in the life of a UK university. Desire and potential to make a substantial contribution to U.S. society and to the U.S.-UK relationship is also important. Evaluators look for strong motivation and seriousness of purpose, including the presentation of a realistic academic program for which the applicant is prepared by previous academic work, and that is an ideal next step toward the applicant's future plans.
Prospective applicants interested in applying as seniors should contact the fellowships advisor during spring of their junior year, in order to benefit from advising over the summer as first drafts of the preliminary application are due during the summer. Screening interviews are conducted in September to decide whether to endorse (=nominate) the applicant. Pomona may endorse up to 24 applications per cycle. Candidates apply either in the region of their college or their legal residence. In addition to transcripts and letters of recommendation, the application requires three essays: a personal statement, an academic plan, and a rationale for choosing the United Kingdom. Regional committees interview selected candidates in mid-November, and winners are announced soon thereafter. The Marshall Commission helps Scholars apply for admission to their academic programs of choice. Use these resources to explore degree programs at universities in the UK. Recently graduated applicants may be endorsed by Pomona, or by an employer or another organization more familiar with the applicant's post-graduation professional activities.
To prepare your internal application, complete the following steps:
- By mid-July, ask your three recommenders for letters of recommendation. Recommenders should email their letters to Fellowships@pomona.edu no later than August 26, 2021.
- Create an Embark account through the official Marshall Scholarship website and complete your online application. When asked to submit names and contact information for recommenders, please enter "Jason Jeffrey" and "Jason.Jeffrey@pomona.edu" in all fields as a placeholder (we will not ask you to enter the names of your recommenders in the online application unless you have been nominated by the College).
- Hit "submit" on your Embark application (don't worry--we can unsubmit it later!) and generate a PDF of your application.
- By August 26 at 11:59 p.m. PDT, upload your Embark application to SurveyMonkey Apply and complete the other internal application components, which include a:
- Marshall, Mitchell, Rhodes – Internal Application Form
- Unofficial Transcript
- Resume or CV
The Marshall, Mitchell, Rhodes SurveyMonkey Apply site will go live August 5, 2021.
Letters of Reference
Letters of reference are required. Learn more about Letters of reference.
- Malkiat Johal
- Charles Katsiaficas
- Richard McKirahan