- Preliminary Application: Please complete the Preliminary Application for UK/Irish Fellowships [docx] and submit it firstname.lastname@example.org to no later than June 28, 2017.
- Internal Application: The internal application with all supporting materials (see details below) is due over email September 1, 2017.
- National Deadline: The competition's national deadline is October 2, 2017.
The Marshall Scholarship Program provides the opportunity for graduate study in the U.K. to 40 intellectually distinguished young Americans. The program was created to honor the ideals of the Marshall Plan, which aided the recovery of Europe after World War II.
The Scholarship supports two years of graduate study in almost any field leading to one or two degrees at any UK institution or institutions of higher education. The Marshall Scholarship may no longer be used to complete a second undergraduate degree. It is possible to pursue two different one-year master's degrees, not necessarily at the same university. There are also opportunities for extension of the award in order to complete a PhD, which is often a 3-year program in the UK. The award covers tuition and fees, airfare, living expenses, and related expenses.
Candidates must be U.S. citizens when they apply, and for fall 2017 application must either be current seniors or have graduated from an accredited four-year college or university in the U.S. after April 2015. The minimum eligible undergraduate is GPA 3.7 (11.1); however, Marshall Scholars in recent years tend to have close-to-perfect GPAs.
The Marshall Commission seeks candidates of keen intellect and broad outlook. Selection committees look for distinction of intellect as evidenced both by scholastic attainments and demonstrated leadership. Preference is given to candidates who combine high academic ability with a capacity to play an active part in the life of a UK university. Desire and potential to make a substantial contribution to U.S. society and to the U.S.-UK relationship is also important. Evaluators look for strong motivation and seriousness of purpose, including the presentation of a realistic academic program for which the applicant is prepared by previous academic work, and that is an ideal next step toward the applicant's future plans.
Prospective applicants interested in applying as seniors should contact Jennifer Locke during spring of their junior year, in order to benefit from advising over the summer as first drafts of the preliminary application are due during the summer. Screening interviews are conducted in September to decide whether to endorse (=nominate) the applicant. There is no limit on the number of applicants Pomona may endorse. Candidates apply either in the region of their college or their legal residence. In addition to transcripts and letters of recommendation, the application requires three essays: a personal statement, an academic plan, and a rationale for choosing the United Kingdom. Regional committees interview selected candidates in mid-November, and winners are announced soon thereafter. The Marshall Commission helps Scholars apply for admission to their academic programs of choice. Use these resources to explore degree programs at universities in the UK. Recently graduated applicants may be endorsed by Pomona, or by an employer or another organization more familiar with the applicant's post-graduation professional activities.
To prepare your internal application, complete the following steps:
1. Log on to Fluid Review at https://pomonacollege2.fluidreview.com/r/, using your Single Sign-On ID and password. Start a Marshall Scholarship application and register the names and email addresses of the recommenders who have agreed to write for you. Make sure you do this at least two weeks before the September 1st deadline so that your reviewers have plenty of time to write. Your recommenders will be asked to email their letters directly to us at email@example.com.
2. Create an Embark account through the official Marshall Scholarship website and complete your online application. When asked to submit names and contact information for recommenders, please enter "Jennifer Locke" and "firstname.lastname@example.org" in all fields as a placeholder (we will not ask you to enter the names of your recommenders in this online application until you have been nominated by the college).
3. Hit "submit" on your Embark application (don't worry--we can unsubmit it later!) and generate a PDF of your application.
4. Upload the PDF of your application to the Fluid Review Marshall application you started. Submit your application through Fluid Review by 5pm on September 1, 2017.
Letters of Reference
Letters of reference are required. Learn more about Letters of reference.
- Jordan Kirk
- Samuel Yamashita