The Pomona HPC environment aims to support all the commonly used software that has large RAM or high CPU core requirements. In addition to the traditional scale up and parallelization workloads, the use of GPUs and CUDA will be supported and encouraged. We are continuously evaluating new software packages, both commercial and open source, as requested by faculty, staff, and students and will be updating the list regularly.
Currently Supported Software
- Gaussian versions 09 and 16
- GaussView versions 5 and 6
- Jupyter, JupyterLab, JupyterHub
- R language
Pomona HPC welcomes both teaching and research and is open to exploring any novel approaches to HPC. We currently offer the following services:
- Evaluation of your specific request as it pertains to teaching or research with the goal of establishing whether HPC is a good fit. If you have a practical use case ITS HPC will assist with adapting your workflow to HPC in terms of software license access, data migration, scaling and benchmarking the results
- Yearly Hahn Grant funds an HPC Support position that welcomes student workers with various majors to learn about the real world HPC Support activities shadowing one of the ITS staff and learning everything they will need post-graduation in their job-hunting or practical use of a research environment.
- ITS currently uses GitHub for version control and documentation and offers crash courses in version control, specifically with git and GitHub. We are planning to offer GitLab support in the future for projects that require CI/CD.
- A monthly Research Computing Office Hours in the Cowart building classroom offers an opportunity for faculty, students, and staff to learn more about the nuts and bolts of HPC and adjacent technologies, with hands on work and post-workshop Daily Challenges in Slack that are designed to motivate everyone to learn one new thing every day.
- RCAG (Research Computing Advisory Group) meets through school year to steer the overall discussion around the use of HPC, grants, funding, and outreach.
- Pomona ITS and HPC offer assistance with the hardware, software, and vendor evaluation including assistance with the specifications, quotes, and ordering.
- Pomona ITS and HPC have a Research Grants application template [doc] that can be used when describing the technical or computing elements of research including the description of resources that are available on campus.
- ITS HPC offers hardware hosting in our modern air-conditioned Data Center in the Cowart building including power, air-conditioning, networking, authentication, and other standard infrastructure services. The hardware can be standalone and accessible only by your specific department or a part of HPC, with the custom priority queue where you get priority access to your hardware but also participate in a shared environment when your equipment is not utilized. This ensures you have access to a much larger environment when needed.
- As a part of HPC access you may need to make sure your software license is up to date, accessible on HPC, and does not violate any software agreements. We are intending to establish a centralized license utilization visualization system that can track license usage, cost, and notify about license expirations so that you are not surprised when your license expires.
- By the virtue of supporting a centralized environment ITS HPC can facilitate cross-departmental studies and collaboration when appropriate including collaboration with the Library, 5c/7c, other colleges.