Pomona College provides lifetime email accounts for students and alumni through Microsoft Office 365. Each account comes with the Microsoft Office Online applications, the Microsoft Office productivity suite of software for up to 5 computers (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and 1TB of OneDrive cloud-based disk storage.
Assigned Email Address
The email address assigned to you is your 8-character Pomona username at mymail.pomona.edu. For example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request an Account
Accounts are automatically generated for Pomona College students, 7-College students enrolled in Pomona College classes and 7-College students employed by Pomona College. If you need an account and are not in one of these groups, you will need to request an account manually. Your supervisor or sponsoring faculty member will need to request the account on your behalf by sending an e-mail to ServiceDesk@pomona.edu with the following information:
- First, middle and last name
- College you attend
- Your college ID number
- Birth date (mm/dd/yy)
- The Pomona class you are taking
- The name of the professor of that class
- An alternative email address to notify you when your account is ready
- Postal mailing address
- Telephone number
You will be notified by e-mail or telephone when your account is ready.
To setup your account, visit Pomona’s Identity Management Service. Activate your account by entering your Pomona College username (e.g., CESX2015), your last name, and your Pomona College ID (the 8-digit number located on your Pomona College issued ID). When entering your ID, be sure to leave off any leading zeros, and don’t include any numbers after the hyphen. Once this information has been entered, click the ‘Activate Account’ button to proceed and review the terms and conditions.
Once you’ve agreed to the terms and conditions, you will be guided through the remaining steps: selecting a new password and providing alternate contact information for account recovery purposes. While only an alternate email is required, it is highly recommended that you enter your SMS-enabled mobile phone number, as many users find this to be the most convenient way to reset their password.
Accessing Your Email
There are three ways to access your Pomona e-mail through Office365:
- Webmail. The easiest way to access your email is through the webmail interface. To login, use loginID@mymail.pomona.edu as your username along with your Pomona password. Please be aware that Google Chrome is not optimized for the webmail interface. If you encounter an issue with Chrome, please try Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari instead.
- Phone or Tablet. We suggest using the Microsoft Outlook app for your phone or tablet. The Outlook App is available free from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and will provide easy access not only to your Pomona e-mail, but your calendar, contacts and the Global Address List as well. When you add an account, use your loginID@mymail.pomona.edu address as your username along with your Pomona password to complete the setup.
- Outlook. Your email account includes the Microsoft Office suite of software, allowing you to install Outlook on up to 5 computers. Once installed, you can login to your email account through Outlook using your username/password (choose Microsoft Exchange or Office365 as your account type).
Please be aware that your MyMail account will become inactive if you fail to sign into the MyMail web interface at least every 180 days. After an account becomes inactive, all messages, folders, and contacts may be deleted. Incoming messages will be sent back to the sender as undeliverable. Your account name is still reserved. However, if the account stays inactive for an additional 90 days, the account name may be permanently deleted. If you don’t use your MyMail account for 365 days, your account (and email within) may be permanently deleted by Microsoft.
To reset your password, please visit Password Help under Pomona’s Identity Management Service. Instead of logging in with your username and password (since your password is forgotten), click on the link “Forgotten Password.”
The webmail interface of your MyMail account allows you to change the setting of your account (junk mail, mail forwarding, time zone, etc.). To make sure your account is customized properly and does not mark messages from other Claremont Colleges as Junk Mail, please visit Footprints.
Malicious phishing and malware emails continue to target members of the college community. As part of the ongoing effort to combat these attacks, ITS has rolled out new email security measures.
How to Tell if Your Email is Phishing or Spam
There are some signs that you have received a phishing or spam email. Generally speaking, if you receive an unexpected email from a source you don’t know, you should question it. If you receive an email from a source you do know making an unusual request, verify it with the sender either by phone or in a separate email. Do not use the original email to reply. Do not click on links and do not open any attachments. Signs that an email is phishing or spam include:
- Alarmist or dire warnings of account closures
- Promises of money from complete strangers
- If it sounds too good to be true
- Misspellings or bad grammar
- URLs that have no connection to sender
- Sender return addresses that have no relation to subject
Some common scams include:
- Bank of America – Bank of America – Important Notice
- Westpac Bank – Your Account Has Been Blocked
- PayPal – Resolve remote access
- Chase Bank – INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT
- Outlook – FW: (WARNING) Microsoft Account Suspension
- Chase Bank – Fwd: Online Message From Chase Online
- Apple Store – About your last Transaction
- PayPal – We were unable to process your request
- Bank of America – Fwd: We Have Temporarily disabled Your Account!!!!!!
- PayPal – [PayPal] Alert from our security system!
For more information or help with phishing or spam emails, please contact the ITS service desk.
Pomona College provides alumni with lifetime email accounts of your base email address (LoginID@mymail.pomona.edu) through Microsoft Office 365. In order to keep this account active, you will need to log into the web interface at least once every 180 days. If you do not login every 180 days, your account may become dormant.
It is extremely important that you have activated and set your password recovery information in the Pomona Password Manager Tool before leaving the College. This will enable you to reset your e-mail password at any time and to recover your password should you forget it.