If you're looking to write a thesis or a term paper about campus sustainability issues, the Sustainability Integration Office can help you pick a topic and connect you with the information you need. Your academic work might be what the College needs to move forward with a specific problem or technology!
Past academic projects that have helped the College move forward have included:
- Capacity for photo-voltaic arrays on the roofs of College buildings (including a cost-benefit analysis)
- Opportunities for heating Haldeman pool using solar hot water heating
- Thermal imaging of buildings to determine inefficiencies in insulation
- Designing a "Sustainability Pledge" program for all incoming students
- Assessing opportunities for cost- and energy-savings through the use of more efficient lighting solutions
Email email@example.com for more information about possible topics for projects and papers.
- Chad Powell, Intro to PPA - Drying Racks Policy Proposal Full paper [doc]
- Elizabeth Donovan, Keenan Ferar, Michael Larsen, Lauren Sherman, Annie Stoller-Patterson, EA Independent Study - Pomona College Waste Audit Full final paper with data [doc]
- Samantha Meyer '10, EA Senior Exercise - Time to Get Real: A Food Assessment of Dining at Pomona College Executive summary [pdf] , Full thesis paper [pdf]
- Nik Tyack '11, Water in the West final project - Water Use at Pomona, a Southern Californian College: A Water Management Plan for the 21st Century Full paper [pdf]
- Allie Comet '09, EA Senior Exercise - Reviving the Foodshed: The Historical Foundations of a Sustainable Food Culture in Claremont, California
- Louis Russell '09, EA Senior Exercise - Solar-Thermal Energy at Pomona College
- Elise Novak '09, EA Senior Exercise - The Claremont Graduate Institute of Environmental Design: An Exercise in Ecological Site Planning
- Brittany Biebl '07, EA Senior Exercise - Solar Heating Haldeman Pool
- Jordan Johnson '07, EA Senior Exercise - The Environmental Movement Close to Home: A Case Study of the LEEDs Silver Certified Pomona College Biology Building
- Femke Oldham '07, Politics / PPA Senior Exercise - Water at Pomona College: An Investigation of Policies and Practices
- Helena Koelle '03, EA Senior Exercise - Exploring Environmental Lifestyle Changes at the Claremont Colleges
- Tyler Dillavou '01, Biology / PPA Senior Exercise - Pomona College: A Vision for Sustainability
- Tyler Dillavou '01, EA Senior Exercise - Sustainable Development and Higher Education: The Case for Environmental Policy at Pomona College
- Angela Dickey, Scripps '92, Biology / PPA Senior Exercise - An Evaluation of the Environmental Education Program at Bernard Field Station
Environmental Analysis Program
The Pomona College Environmental Analysis Program is a formal academic program at the College which offers majors and minors in a variety of academic "tracks," including the sciences, politics, math, philosophy, and other subjects. This program also hosts lectures, film-showings, field trips, and other educational events open to the campus community. Contact the Program for more information.
Lectures and events
A variety of educational and extra-curricular organizations host sustainability-related events, including lectures, receptions, conferences, and panel discussions throughout the year. If you have an idea for an event, contact the Sustainability Integration Office for assistance.