Academic Support and Learning Center
Meet with a Sage Learning Fellow
Become a SAGE Learning Fellow
SAGE Learning Fellows at Pomona is a program available and open to all Pomona students. We encourage you to apply to be a SAGE Fellow. The program will introduce you to key learning strategies and important resources that will help you succeed at Pomona and will also prepare you to be a resource to your peers.
Apply to be a SAGE Learning Fellow! [pdf] The position requires an 8 hour a week commitment and pays $9.00 an hour.
The course starts in August 2014 and again in January 2015.
The Academic Support and Learning Center is available to help all Pomona students be more effective and efficient learners. Don’t rely on high school study skills to get you through your first year. Use the ASLC and its resources to get you on the right path towards academic success at Pomona! Come to Smith Campus Center 216. We are open M-F from 8:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. The Academic Support and Learning Center offers:
Individual Academic Coaching
The Academic Support and Learning Center provides one-on-one Academic Coaching. Academic Coaches can assist you with:
- Time Management
- Wellness Strategies (Sleep, etc.)
- Reading Strategies
- Memory Improvement
- Stress Management
- Study Strategies
- Accessing Campus Resources
- And More!
Reasons Why You Might Visit the ASC
- You want to improve your grades.
- You want to improve your test performance.
- You want to reduce your test anxiety.
- You don't feel comfortable talking in class.
- You're attending class regularly but you feel like you're missing important points.
- You feel like you're a slow reader.
- You're having trouble completing tests within the allotted time.
- You're spending hours studying for foreign language but still not “getting it.”
- You feel like you don't have enough time to get everything done.
- You're not sure how to take notes.
- You want to sign up for a tutor or study group.
- You are easily distracted in class and while studying.
- Learning Skills Handouts
Learning Skills Handouts
Learn techniques and strategies for improving academic learning. The Academic Support and Learning Center has prepared handouts to help you achieve academic success. The handouts are easy to access and view online, or you can print them out to keep with you. The handouts cover:
- Alcohol and Academics [doc]
- Anxiety – Exam Anxiety [doc]
- Avoid Cramming: Basic Principles about Review [doc]
- College Drinking Fact Sheet [pdf]
- Concentration Tips [doc]
- Cornell Note Taking [doc]
- Exam Preparation & Test Taking Strategies [doc]
- Executive Functions [pdf]
- General Test Taking Tips [doc]
- Habits of Mind – Framework for Success [pdf]
- Listening: Learning by Listening [doc]
- Listening: Nine Bad Listening Habits [doc]
- SQ3R Method [doc]
- Time Management [doc]
Sponsored Study Groups
Study Groups are formed when enough interest has been identified in a particular area of study. Availability of study groups is dependent on study group leader applications, professor approval and student demand.
|Jan Collins-Eaglin||Associate Dean of Students for Student Support and Learning||(909) 607-2147|
|Nancy Quiñones||Sage Learning Fellows Coordinator||(909) 621-2526|
Mailing AddressPomona College, Academic Support and Learning Center, 550 N. College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711
Campus LocationAlexander Hall