Pomona College Family Weekend
Dear Parents, Guardians and Family Members,
I am delighted to extend an invitation to you and your family to join us for Pomona College Family Weekend, February 14-16, 2014. Registration for the program begins on December 16, 2013.
Our tradition of inviting families to campus is a great opportunity for students to share their Pomona College experience with loved ones. You will be able to meet and interact with professors, staff and other members of the Pomona College community—ask questions, sit in on a class, hear a faculty lecture and discover the College and Claremont yourself.
The Family Weekend 2014 planning committee is currently crafting a rich and exciting schedule of events that feature the best that Pomona College has to offer. Our esteemed faculty, distinguished staff, and of course, our amazing students will be part of the program. Some of the weekend's highlights are:
Pomona Family College
Engage in a range of academic and campus life discussions. A list of Friday morning classes will be made available for you to view prior to your arrival. We've also lined up some special interest lectures and seminars on Friday and Saturday. Pomona Family College Sessions include:
- "The Economics of Sin" with Prof. Eleanor Brown
- "Can Zombies Do Math?" with Prof. Gizem Karaali
- "Molecules and the Mind" with Prof. Karen Parfitt
- “Life on Campus” with Ric Townes, Dean of Campus Life and other directors in the Division of Student Affairs.
- “Study Abroad: Pomona Beyond the Gates” with Rhoda Borcherding, Director of the Office of Study Abroad.
Learn what it truly means to be part of the Pomona College community by attending our special Family Weekend events. Mix and mingle with faculty, staff, students and other families.
- Reception with Pomona College President David Oxtoby and his wife Claire.
- A panel on the Pomona College student experience inside and outside the classroom, with Miriam Feldblum, Vice President and Dean of Students, and Janice Hudgings, Vice President and Dean of the College.
- Pomona College Organic Farm Tours.
- Cheer on Sagehen athletes at several sporting events.
Experience Art, Music and Culture
Visit the Pomona College Museum of Art, watch spectacular student performances, listen to breathtaking musical numbers, or simply take a walk on a gorgeous Southern California day and enjoy the scenery.
Among our featured presentations will be:
- "Pomona’s Got Talent" where students showcase their talents in the performing arts.
- Ten-Minute Play Festival featuring plays written, produced and performed by members of the College community.
More events are being added to the Family Weekend schedule, so please check back in January for some exciting updates.
I encourage you to come and enjoy a sample of what Pomona College students experience on a daily basis. It is also a wonderful opportunity for all of us to continue our conversations with you, and welcome you again into the Pomona College community.
I look forward to having you join us for the weekend!
Vice President and Dean of Students
For inquiries, please contact:
The Office of Parent Relations