Bookmark and Share
|
  • Text +
  • Text -

Ussachevsky Electronic Studio

student William Appleton composing
Class in the Electronic Music Studio

The Department’s Electronic Studio was largely funded by a bequest from Vladimir Ussachevsky, a pioneer in electronic music who graduated from Pomona in 1935. While the studio features historic instruments including a theremin and an ARP 2600, its main tools are current software designed for musical experimentation and production. Digital Performer, Kontakt, and MAX/MSP are the most commonly used applications on the Mac Pro computer.

The main studio offers stereo and 8-channel playback, a 32-input Mackie mixer, turntable, and a Kurzweil PC3LE8 keyboard. A second workstation has all of the above except the 8-channel playback.

Student works produced here have been presented in public concerts each semester since 1991, regularly in the Music Department's Lyman Hall, but also in Dance Department performances, Theater Department productions, Museum of Art installations, and in various other places around the campus.