Welcome to Pomona College Disability Resources and Services
Americans with Disability Act
Pomona College complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended, and other applicable state and federal law prohibiting discrimination against individuals with disabilities. View the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Dept. of Education’s page, which provides access to the Federal law and regulations as well as some FAQ’s. You may also contact the college’s office for disabled student services which can provide you information on Federal, state, local, and campus regulations that you should know.
The College is committed to providing appropriate services and reasonable accommodations for students who need them. Students and parents/guardians are encouraged to speak to the College’s specialist in disability accommodations regarding potential accommodations and the required paperwork.
How to Register for Accommodations and Required Documentation
Schedule an appointment with the Dean and provide documentation of the disability if accommodations are desired. Please note this information is kept strictly confidential. Self-identification is voluntary. As many reasonable accommodations require significant pre-planning, registration with the Dean of Students Office prior to situations requiring accommodations is very important to receiving timely academic adjustments.
For all students wishing to be accommodated for disabilities:
- Complete the Request for Services form.
- Complete the Disability Documentation form which identifies the disability, describes the challenges to participation in college life the student faces due to the condition, and, recommends specific accommodations .
In the case of learning disabilities or attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, please provide the psycho-educational evaluation along with the Request for Services Form.
Please note that all information and documentation is confidential and will not be shared with others without the student’s permission.
Documentation on file should:
- Be current, within the last five years for Learning Disabilities is recommended, last 6 months for psychiatric disabilities, or last 3 years for all other disabilities (does not apply to physical or sensory disabilities of an unchanging nature.)
- State clearly the diagnosed disability and educational or medical documentation.
- Describe the functional limitations resulting from the disability.
- If medication is prescribed, list relevant medication and side effects that the individual may experience.
- Describe the specific accommodations requested and explanation of why each accommodation is recommended.
- For learning disabilities, provide all psychological and educational testing instruments used in the evaluation report and relevant subtest scores used to document the stated disability.
Pomona College believes that all students have the ability to grow intellectually through close ties among a diverse group of faculty, staff and classmates. Students with disabilities are an integral part of the rich diversity at Pomona College. Pomona students are inspired to engage in the probing inquiry and creative learning that enable them to identify and address their intellectual passions.
Student Affairs at Pomona College fosters the holistic development of students by focusing on personal and social responsibility, co-curricular education, and community engagement on and off campus. We are committed to nurturing an engaged, thriving, safe and healthy community that is responsive to student needs.
The Dean of Students Office is committed to providing equal access and reasonable accommodations, for qualified disabled students.
Goals for Disability Resources and Services
- To partner with students to achieve their academic goals and graduate from Pomona College
- Facilitate the transition from high school to college
- Serve as a campus resource for students, faculty and staff
- Support students to understand their strengths, self-advocate, participate in leadership opportunities and develop their total self