Data Governance Committee Members
- Elisa Alban, Registrar
- Andrew Crawford, Director of Information Systems
- Peter Hansen, Interim Director of Advancement Services and Information Systems
- Steven Jubert, Associate Dean of Campus Life and Director of Residential Life
- William Morse, Vice President and CIO (co-chair)
- Jennifer Rachford, Director of Institutional Research (co-chair)
- Brenda Rushforth, Assistant Vice President, Human Resources
- Chris Teran, Associate Dean of Admissions
- Robin Thompson, Director of Financial Aid
- Dave Wallace, Chief Investment Officer
Data governance is the discipline of developing and managing decision-making resources (data, analytic tools/resources, data-delivery platforms and mechanisms) with the goal of facilitating actionable insight to support the educational mission of the College. The Data Governance Committee (DGC) was convened in Fall 2015 to coordinate and oversee a formal program of data governance at Pomona, which entails developing common policies, standards, methodologies and processes to augment institutional capacity for data-rich decision-making and ensure that data resources are managed legally, ethically and strategically in support of College goals and priorities.
Campus users can access committee reports by way of single sign-on.
Policies and Guidelines
Guidelines for the Publication of Pomona College Data (campus login required) – A framework for campus users to facilitate judgment about whether and how to disseminate College data in summary form at various levels of disaggregation.
Data Privacy and Sensitivity Guidelines – A classification of College data and corresponding guidelines about their release and dissemination.
Statement on NIST 800-171 Compliance - In accordance with Gen-15-18 and Gen-16-12 Dear Colleague letters, Pomona College is committed to implementing NIST 800-171 standards for the protection of student information.
Third-Party Data Policy – Procedures for authorizing the release of personally identifiable information (PII) from the College’s information systems to outside entities.
External Data Reporting – Recommended practices and procedures for the reporting of institutional to outside entities such as government agencies, college guide publications, media, foundations, etc.
External Storage and File Transfer Services – Guidelines for the use of third party external storage services (e.g., Dropbox, Evernote, Google Apps, etc.) for conducting Pomona College business.