*Equal author contributions, (‘year) Pomona undergraduate co-author
Olson SK and Kulber LM (’23). “Model Systems: Do’s and Don’ts: CRISPR in C. elegans.” Introduction to CRISPR-Cas9 Techniques: Strategies for the Laboratory and the Classroom. (Ed. Wolyniak MJ, Pattison DL, Pieczynski J and Santisteban M). Springer Nature. In preparation for 2023 publication.
Cheng JPX*, Olson SK*, Soloviev A, Zugasti O, Bell A (’14), Hutter H, Vogel BE, Kuwabara PE. A novel role for C. elegansPatched-related protein PTR-2 in cortical granule exocytosis and eggshell permeability barrier formation. In preparation.
Bai X*, Huang L-J*, Chen S-W*, Nebenfuhr B, Wysolmerski B (’14), Wu J-C, Olson SK, Golden A, Wang C-W. “Loss of the seipin gene perturbs eggshell formation in C. elegans.” Development, 147: dev192997, 2020.
González DP* (‘17), Lamb HV* (‘15), Partida D* (‘14), Wilson ZT (‘17), Harrison M-C (‘18), Prieto JA (‘20), Moresco JJ, Diedrich JK, Yates JR, and Olson SK. CBD-1 scaffolds two independent complexes required for eggshell vitelline layer formation and egg activation in C. elegans. Developmental Biology 442: 288-300, 2018.
Olson SK, G Greenan, A Desai, T Muller-Reichert, and K Oegema. "Hierarchical assembly of the eggshell and permeability barrier in C. elegans." Journal of Cell Biology, 198:731-748, 2012.
Carvalho A*, S Olson*, E Gutierrez*, K Zhang, L Noble, E Zanin, A Desai, A Groisman, and K Oegema. "Acute drug treatment in the early C. elegans embryo." PLoS One, 6:e24656, 2011. *Equal author contributions, Undergraduate co-author
Lawrence R, SK Olson, RE Steele, L Wang, L Zhang, R Warrior, RD Cummings, and JD Esko. "Evolutionary differences in glycosaminoglycan fine structure detected by quantitative Glycan Reductive Isotope Labeling." Journal of Biological Chemistry, 283:33674-84, 2008.
Olson SK, JR Bishop, JR Yates 3rd, K Oegema, and JD Esko. "Identification of novel chondroitin proteoglycans in C. elegans: Embryonic cell division depends on CPG-1 and CPG-2." Journal of Cell Biology, 173:985-994, 2006.
Hwang HY, SK Olson, JD Esko, and HR Horvitz. "Caenorhabditis elegans early embryogenesis and vulval morphogenesis require chondroitin biosynthesis." Nature, 423:439-443, 2003.
Pinhal MA, B Smith, S Olson, J Aikawa, K Kimata, and JD Esko. "Enzyme interactions in heparan sulfate biosynthesis: uronosyl 5-epimerase and 2-O-sulfotransferase interact in vivo." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 98:12984-9, 2001.
Tsuda M, K Kamimura, H Nakato, M Archer, W Staatz, B Fox, M Humphrey, S Olson, T Futch, V Kaluza, E Siegfried, L Stam, and SB Selleck, "The cell-surface proteoglycan Dally regulates Wingless signaling in Drosophila." Nature, 400:276-80, 1999.
Awards & Honors
Awards & Honors
External Grants & Awards
- Beckman Foundation (co-PI): “Beckman Scholars Program at Pomona College.” Under review, finalist.
- NSF RCN-UBE (senior personnel): “Bringing CRISPR-Cas9 technologies to the undergraduate classroom: an undergraduate instructors’ network.” Award #2120417 ($499,218), 2021-2026.
- NSF CAREER Award (PI): “Remodeling the egg extracellular matrix at fertilization.” Award #1846563 ($827,962), 2019-2024.
- Beckman Foundation (co-PI): “Beckman Scholars Program at Pomona College: Developing research leaders through opportunity, mentorship, and community.” Awarded ($104,000), 2020-2023.
- Research Corporation, Cottrell College Science Award (PI): “Investigation of ascaroside biosynthesis in the nematode C. elegans.” Award #22670 ($51,370), 2014-2017.
Pomona Internal Grants & Awards
- 7C Claremont Colleges Faculty Diversity Award for Teaching, 2018
- Pomona College Wig Distinguished Professor Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2015
- Hirsch Research Initiation Grant (PI), 2019-2023 ($12,000)
- HHMI Collaborative Grant (co-PI), 2017 ($13,000)
- Hirsch Research Initiation Grant (PI), 2013-2015 ($10,000)
- Wig Teaching Innovation Grant, 2013 ($600)
Pre-Pomona Grants & Awards
- National Academies Education Fellow in the Life Sciences, 2011
- NIH IRACDA Postdoctoral Training Award, 2008-2011
- NIH Predoctoral Training Grant in Genetics, 2000-2003
- NIH Predoctoral Training Grant in Cancer Biology, 1999-2000
- Lawrence University, Magna cum laude honors in course, 1999
- Phi Beta Kappa, member, 1998-present