Bookmark and Share
  • Text +
  • Text -

International Students

Employment for International Students at Pomona

Traditional "international students" (students with F-1 status) may work on campus, but before beginning to work must first obtain a Social Security number. The hiring supervisor can work with prospective student employees in order to collect the necessary documentation, and the International Place on the Claremont McKenna College campus can can assist students in setting up an appointment with the Social Security Administration to apply for a Social Security number and card.


Your prospective campus supervisor will provide a job offer printed on school letterhead.  This offer goes to Sara Mitchell, the International Student Advisor in the Office of Admissions, who will provide you with a second letter verifying your status as an enrolled student at Pomona College.  Bring your student identification, your Visa documentation, the job offer on school letterhead, and your enrolled student verification from Sara Mitchell, to the International Place, the five college resource center for international students located on the Claremont McKenna College campus  The I-Place staff will assist you in completing the required application for a Social Security number and in making appointments with, and transportation to, the Social Security Administration Office.


It takes about two weeks to receive a Social Security card.  However, once a student has been assigned a social security number from the Administration, the student may complete hiring paperwork with Human Resources and, once "cleared to work", may begin working on campus.  International students must complete an International Student W-4 form, along with the other required forms: Student Employment Agreement [pdf] , Student Hire Form, I-9 (the Form I-9 must be completed in the Human Resources Office), and a Direct Deposit Enrollment Form [pdf] (optional). I-9 and W-4 Forms can be obtained from the Human Resources Department.


**Additional information about obtaining a social security card can be accessed directly from the I-Place website: http://iplace.claremont.edumain/updates_socialsecurity.php.

**If you have any questions regarding the Student Employment program, please contact the Student Employment Coordinator at (909) 607-3867 or