Acquire fluency in French and become familiar with contemporary approaches to the language, literature and culture.
As a French major or minor, you will rigorously study French and Francophone language, literature and culture in class discussions that stress the use of French in real-life situations with practical vocabulary, an inductive approach to grammar and hands-on activities.
Your courses will be interdisciplinary, exploring history, film, visual arts, philosophy, political theory, feminism, psychoanalysis, cultural and film studies, and the latest in popular culture. You may spend a semester abroad in France, Cameroon, Senegal or Morocco.
You will graduate as an effective French speaker and writer and a critical reader of the great works of French literature, including Molière, Proust, Beckett and Sartre.
What You’ll Study
- Advanced grammar and composition
- An introductory course in literary analysis
- Courses on aspects of French culture
- Courses in Francophone literature across the centuries
- Senior thesis or senior paper with oral presentation