Join us for lunch, Wednesdays at noon, Frary PDR South! Here are the upcoming dates:
- October 25 (with guest speaker Dr. Ami Radunskaya)
- November 8
- December 6
Queering Math: In Theory & In Practice
- Fostering Race Consciousness and Equity in STEM (FoRCES) is hosting a discussion with Prof. Kimberly Ayers of the Pomona Math Department on queer approaches to mathematics education and queer issues within current approaches to math education.
AWM is hosting technical workshops open to all 5C students! All workshops are on a Thursday and begin at 4:15 in Argue Auditorium, room 1051, in Millikan on Pomona’s Campus.
- 10/26: Matlab (No experience necessary - we will start from the beginning and go over basic skills.)
- 11/2: R Continued (We will assume that you have some experience working with R.)
- 11/9: LaTeX Continued (We will assume that you have some experience working with LaTeX.)
- 11/16: Mathematica (No experience necessary - we will start from the beginning and go over basic skills.)
- 11/30: Beamer (No experience necessary - we will start from the beginning and go over basic skills.)
There are some incredible women conducting research in math speaking at math colloquium (Wednesdays at 4:15 on Argue Auditorium!) in the next few weeks – here’s who & when:
- Victoria Noquez (October 25)
- Jenny Switkes (November 11)
Professor Shahriari is organizing a grad school support group (open to all Pomona seniors who are applying for grad school!), so contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Vi Hart is a mathematician and philosopher with interest in math, music, and social justice. She is supremely talented in explaining math - from hexaflexagons to doodling in math class. Check out Vi Hart's website, and in many a video on Khan Academy.