Applying to health profession programs is an involved process requiring attention to detail and the compilation of a number of materials. The first step in this process is to ask yourself when you should apply. Essentially, you want to apply when you feel ready and when your application is complete and at it's strongest. Identify your readiness using the following list.
When to apply:
- When you can put forth your best application – maximize your options
- After maximum academic preparation
- When letters of recommendation are strongest
- After completing relevant experiences
- When you have accomplished other goals before beginning your career, such as fellowships, Teach for America, or research experience
- When you feel prepared and ready to begin your professional education – schools want mature applicants who know themselves and are psychologically prepared for the rigors of graduate study