What is TAO – Therapy Assistance Online?
It may be helpful to think of TAO as an online library of engaging, interactive programs to learn life skills and to help you bounce back from disappointments or stumbling blocks in life.
High quality, entertaining, and interactive learning modules, using evidence-based theories.
Provide progress and outcome measures, along with screening for behavioral health problems, if desired.
Practice Tools & Logs
Tools to reinforce skills learned in the educational modules, including daily logs and journals.
Valuable resource to learn and practice mindfulness and meditation.
We are excited to provide you with very powerful evidenced-based, learner-focused content that aims to increase positive and adaptive behavior. Using TAO you will learn:
For developing personal agency and managing oneself
For analyzing and using information
For communicating and interacting effectively with others
Each pathway could be considered its own textbook, with each module in that pathway representing a chapter of the book, and each module session representing a subheading of the chapter. As you watch videos and engage with our interactive components, you'll gain the knowledge, self-awareness, and skills you need to achieve your goals.
You can complete TAO at your own pace, whether that's just one session a day, or perhaps two whole modules. It's entirely up to you.
Review the descriptions of each pathway below. You may complete as many pathways as you like. If you have put some effort into one and it does not seem to be resonating with you, you could consider trying another to see if that might better help you reach your goals. TAO is not one size fits all, and we encourage you to play around to find what works most effectively for YOU.
How to Sign Up for TAO Self-help Instructions
Here are the steps to get you started in TAO:
- In your browser window, navigate to TAO Connect, and click on the ‘Sign Me Up’ button.
- Enter your name and email address on the enrollment form, use your university email address.
- Enter a password (once more to confirm it).
- Leave the ‘Enrollment Key’ field blank. Fill out the demographics and Informed Consent form, and click ‘Sign Me Up!’
- Check your email. You will be sent a confirmation link which you must click on before signing in.
- Click on the link, and log into the platform, and the first thing you will see is the home page. Scroll down to the section ‘My Pathways’ to find all your available pathways.
- Choose the pathway(s) that are right for you, then get started. Work through the educational module and exercises. The course will prompt you when a practice tool or log should be completed. You can work with these either in the web interface or you can download the Android or iOS mobile apps. NOTE: The apps include the logs and mindfulness library; however most of the courses must be accessed through the web interface.