The Music Department is housed in Thatcher Music Building, built in 1970 and named in honor of Madge Rice Thatcher and Harry S. Thatcher. The building houses department offices, classrooms and studios, Bryant Hall for ensemble rehearsals, a music library, practice rooms, listening rooms, and the College’s student-run FM radio station KSPC.
Our key music facilities also include:
- Located just to the east of Thatcher Music Building is the 550-seat Mabel Shaw Bridges Hall of Music, better known as “Little Bridges.” A campus architectural treasure designed by Myron Hunt and opened in 1915, the hall hosts nearly 45 concerts each academic year, featuring renowned guest artists as well as our own ensembles, student and faculty artists.
- Housed in Bridges Hall of Music, is the Hill Memorial Organ, which was built by C. B. Fisk of Gloucester, Massachusetts, and dedicated in May 2002.
- Within Thatcher Music Building is the Ralph H. Lyman Hall, an auditorium with seating for 250, which honors the memory of a professor who was chair of the Music Department and director of Pomona’s Glee Clubs and choir from 1917 to 1948.
- The newly renovated Victor Montgomery Music Library, housed in Thatcher Music Building, holds an extensive collection of books, musical scores, and recordings and provides a large, comfortable space for study. The Montgomery library supplements the comprehensive music-research collection of the Claremont Colleges’ Honnold-Mudd Library.
- The Ussachevsky Electronic Studio, also in Thatcher, was created through a generous bequest from the late electronic music pioneer Vladimir Ussachevsky ’35, and contains state-of-the-art equipment for the production and recording of electronic music.
- The Rembrandt Building, across the Carolyn Bartel Lyon Garden just south of Thatcher Music Building, hosts additional studio space, a classroom, a piano lab and rehearsal spaces for the Balinese Gamelan Ensemble, the West African Music Ensemble and the Afro-Cuban Music Ensemble.
Academic Department Coordinator, Music