International Student On-Campus Employment and SURP

On-Campus Employment Rules

  • For a new student, F-1 regulations permit on-campus employment up to 30 days before you begin your program of study.
  • On-campus employment includes employment at any of The Claremont Colleges
  • Employment when school is in session is limited to 20 hours per week. Please note that exceeding this limitation is a serious violation of F-1 status. Full-time employment (21 hours or more) is permitted during breaks or summer vacation
  • Permission to work on campus ENDS as of the program end date on your I-20. If you complete a degree program and graduate from Pomona College, you are permitted to work ONLY if you have a valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD) work permit based on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) from the federal government

Finding a job on campus

  • An On-Campus Employment Fair sponsored by the Career Development Office is held at the beginning of each academic year
  • Additional jobs are posted on Handshake, a communications program sponsored by the Career Development Office (CDO)
  • The Financial Aid office may also be a source for find an on-campus job

Social Security Number

SURP - Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP)

  • Summer jobs classified as SURP are considered to be on-campus employment even if you are doing the work away from campus since your work is supervised by a Pomona College faculty member. If you opt for a summer project that is not supervised by a Pomona College faculty member, then set up an appointment with your international student advisor as this may require work authorization through CPT. F-1 students are eligible to apply for SURP funding.