Student Worker Expectations
If you accept a job on campus, in most cases you are making a commitment to work for at least a full semester. The following is expected of all student workers.
Attendance and Work Schedules
Student workers have part-time schedules (no more than 12 hours a week). Your primary obligation is that of being a student, and we rely on you to not over commit yourself. Any work schedule you arrange should allow you enough time for classes, study, extracurricular activities, and relaxation. Once you have made a commitment to work, your supervisor will expect you to fulfill that commitment.
- Report to work on time and perform at the highest level of your ability.
- If you are unable to work, you must notify your supervisor no later than 15 minutes before the start of your shift to allow him or her to make alternate arrangements. Substitution policies vary by department; ask your supervisor whether getting your own substitute is expected or acceptable.
- If you have accepted a job for the semester, ITS will be relying on you even when you have mid-term and final exams. Since you are given your exam schedule in advance, speak to your supervisor ahead of time if you need to adjust your work schedule during that period.
Refrain from conducting your own business on the job. This includes initiating/receiving personal phone calls, checking personal e-mail or browsing the internet.
Act in a professional manner concerning the confidentiality of the College and student records. ITS requires all employees to sign a statement of confidentiality during the hiring process.
Exercise responsible, ethical behavior when using College computing facilities.
Time Cards and Pay Checks
Accurately report the hours worked on a bi-weekly timesheet and submit the hours in a timely fashion to your supervisor.
Student Worker Expectations of Working in ITS
ITS makes the following commitments to all Student Workers:
- We strive to treat everyone with professionalism, dignity, and respect in everything we do.
- We will demonstrate a “generosity of spirit,” that is free from blame and includes the understanding that everyone is doing their utmost best in their jobs.
- We will provide a safe environment for students to challenge themselves while gaining valuable knowledge regarding the culture of today’s workplace.
- We will provide professional development training aimed at preparing students for their future careers.
- We will provide constructive feedback on job performance designed to help students grow professionally.
- We will provide opportunities for students to be exposed to a variety of technology, participate in ITS initiatives, and have more significant insights into how ITS supports the College.
Student Worker Evaluations and Feedback
Student workers will review and receive feedback on the learning objectives of the position during a 30-minute conversation.