International Student Employment in the U.S.

Good news! It is possible to work in the U.S. while you are an F-1 student under specific circumstances subject to various rules, limitations and required authorizations. For an F-1 student, working in the U.S. is classified as either employment or training. Following are the various work categories at Pomona College with brief descriptions.

  • On-Campus Employment – available to all F-1 students enrolled at The Claremont Colleges – First years through senior year; Limited to 20 hours per week during semester; Can be full-time during the summer, the break between terms or spring break
  • SURP – Summer Undergraduate Research Program – Employment during the summer under the supervision of a Pomona department or professor; Is considered to be On-campus employment but can take place either on or off campus;
  • Economic Hardship – Off campus work permitted if financial support is significantly reduced due to loss of scholarship or because of a family or sponsor emergency; USCIS application required. If you are experiencing financial hardship, please contact the Financial Aid Office, the Dean of Students Office and
  • Curricular Practical Training – Internships related to your field of study; Requires specific authorization from the ISA; Limited to 20 hours per week during the semester; full-time in summer or over winter break
  • Optional Practical Training – Pre-Completion or Post–Completion (after graduation); must be in your field of study; Requires application to USCIS
  • 24-month STEM Optional Practical Training Extension – additional training available to F-1 students with degrees in STEM fields; USCIS application required

Social Security Information

When you receive your first work offer, you are eligible for a U.S. Social Security Card