Kenneth Cooke Fellowship
Find Lots of Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- NSF - REU Sites: Mathematical Sciences
- American Mathematical Society - Research Experience for Undergraduates Summer Programs
- Institute for Broadening Participation
- NASA STEM Engagement
- American Mathematical Society - Education
Research Opportunities You May Not Find via a General Search
Statistics Research and REUs
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute - Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- James Madison University - Mathematics & Statistics - Research Experiences for Undergraduates
- Reumass Amherst: A Summer Computing Research Experience in Data Science
At Pomona, particularly good for freshmen who may have a hard time getting into other programs.
Other Things to Consider
- If you have taken or are taking linear algebra, you are qualified for the majority of these programs. Many students at these programs will have taken only linear algebra, and probably a very basic and non-theoretical one like you have/will.
- Emphasize the theoretical math background you have, even if you haven't taken lots of upper-division pure math classes. The entire curriculum at Pomona is very theoretical, and you will have a stronger theory background than many applicants. Also, emphasize your computer science skills. Even 1 or 2 classes in CS in the 5Cs will make you very valuable to almost any research program, theoretical or not.
- Freshmen: getting into REUs can be challenging as a first year. There are programs for freshmen, but they are poorly advertised and not compiled in any one place. Even the one I am familiar with is not listed any more. THEY DO EXIST. You just have to work harder to find them. Also consider a SURP, which will give you valuable experience to prepare you for an REU.