Founded in 2000, CITI Program is the leading provider of research ethics, compliance, and professional development education. Their online courses are used worldwide by over 2,200 organizations and more than 1 million learners around the world annually.
The CITI Program is dedicated to promoting the public’s trust in the research enterprise by providing high quality, peer-reviewed, web-based educational courses in research, ethics, regulatory oversight, responsible conduct of research, research administration, and other topics pertinent to the interests of member organizations and individual learners.
These materials are designed and regularly updated to:
- Enhance the knowledge and professionalism of investigators, staff, and students conducting research in the United States and internationally
- Educate members, administrators, and leadership of ethics committees that review and oversee research
- Promote ethical research at organizations through the education of research administrators and organizational leadership
Who needs to complete the CITI Program?
Any person who wishes to conduct research must first complete research ethics and compliance training before they are allowed to participate in any aspect of research activities. As a Pomona College student, this training is free to you!
If you are planning to take any part in conducting a research study (whether it is your own independent study, senior thesis project or working in a professor’s lab), you will need to complete the CITI program. If you have never completed the CITI program before, you need to register.
What needs to be done once the CITI Program is completed?
Once you have completed the program you can print/email your completion certificate and send it to the appropriate persons (e.g. the PI of your research lab).
IRB Submission and Online Ethics Certification:
CITI Online Ethics Training (good for 3 years):
- Visit CITI program homepage
- Click Log in > LOG IN THROUGH MY INSTITUTION
- Select Pomona College and sign in using your credentials. Click Accept
- Select I DONT HAVE A CITI PROGRAM ACCOUNT AND I NEED TO CREATE ONE > CREATE A NEW CITI ACCOUNT
- Select VIEW COURSES > Select ADD A COURSE
- Select “Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) for the Social and Behavioral Course” (don’tselect anything in the animal research section)
- In COURSES READY TO BEGIN, select START NOW. Click I AGREE.
Note: If you have previously completed online ethics training for research or a course, you may upload your certificate from up to 3 years prior.