Emergency Funding Support for Students

Emergency funding support for students will close for summer break starting at 5 PM on Friday, May 10th, 2024 and will be available for the next school year on Monday, August 26th, 2024 at 8 AM.


Emergency grant funding is available for situations when other funding is unavailable. Requests for general emergency funding from the Dean of Students Office can include certain academic-related expenses as well as non-academic related needs.  Emergency funding is available in the form of loans (available to students on financial aid and not on financial aid), and in the form of grants (usually only available to students on financial aid), or a combination of loan and grant.   Funding, whether loan or grant, is usually limited to under $500. Please note receipts from your purchase are required and should be turned in to the Dean of Students Office within two weeks of grant funding. See below for information on the International Student Fund

For all Dean of Students Emergency Funding Requests or McCann Loan Requests, please complete the Emergency Funding Form or International Student Funding Form on the Dean of Students Office page in Engage.

Emergency International Funding is only available during the academic year and not summer recess or winter break.

McCann Emergency Loans

Short-term emergency loans are available to Pomona students needing small amounts of money, usually $500 or less. Loans must be repaid within the semester. Students needing loans should email Student Affairs or visit the Dean of Students Office, Alexander Hall 102.

General Emergency and Urgent Needs Grant Funds

Students may request funding related to immigration-related costs and DACA legal defense fees:  Students may also apply for emergency funding for DACA fees, advanced parole fees, and other immigration related fees for them, parents or close family members.  We also provide up to $1,000 in legal support for immigration related cases – there requests are vetted with our alumni lawyers who are part of a pro bono legal resource network for students, alumni, as well as students who are citizens or legal permanent residents but whose parents or siblings are undocumented. 

Students may request funding related to legal name and/or gender marker changes for trans and nonbinary students. Students may apply for emergency funding via Engage for common application and document fees for changing one’s name and/or gender marker on legal documents. The Dean of Students office will provide up to $800 in funding for these expenses.

When applying for emergency grant funding, you will be asked information about yourself, if you are on financial aid, the nature of your need or emergency, and how much grant you are requesting. 

You will be asked to identify the category of funding type you are requesting: 

    • Academic-related (e.g. supplies, books, etc)
    • Computer repairs (Emergency funding will NOT fund computer purchases. Emergency funding can only be used for computer repair. Funds received for computer repair cannot be used towards the purchase of a new computer)
    • Family related emergency trip homes
    • Legal fees (and you should contact our sagehenprobono@gmail.com to connect with Pomona’s Pro Bono Immigration Legal Resource Network)
    • Immigration petition fees (DACA, Advance Parole, Permanent Residency, Citizenship-related, etc)

International Student Fund

The International Grant Fund is set up to support international students who are experiencing economic hardship.  

The Fund is restricted to international students who hold valid student visas or who have permanent residency abroad. 

Funding is usually limited to under $500, and often range from $50 to $400.  Requests are decided case-by-case on a rolling basis.