Enrollment in the Semester Prior to Participation
Students are expected to be enrolled full-time on campus in the semester prior to off-campus study and must complete the semester with grades in each of their courses. International or Domestic Program approval will not be granted (or will be revoked) for students who withdraw before the end of the semester or who take incompletes in their coursework. Students who have been on leave status or who have withdrawn from the College must successfully complete one academic semester (Fall or Spring) of full-time coursework on campus before participating in an off-campus study program.
Early Application by Students Leaving Campus
Students who will not be in Claremont during the semester preceding the proposed semester should contact the International and Domestic Programs Office to discuss eligibility and to make arrangements for completing the application process. Applications are due by the on-campus deadline; however, students are strongly encouraged to submit completed applications during the semester before leaving Claremont.
Completing the Application
The application is a two-step process. Students must submit the Pomona College application, the secondary application, and all supporting documents by the Pomona deadline. Only completed applications will be considered.
Students may apply to one program only. However, in cases where the selected program is competitive or if there is concern about a student’s relevant prerequisites, we encourage students to select a second-choice program. Advisors will work individually with applicants in these circumstances to determine the best timeframe for the second-choice application.
Remember that your participation in the program is contingent upon approval from both the program provider and the International and Domestic Programs Committee (IDPC) at Pomona College.
Pomona College Application
Once you have met with an advisor and decided which program you would like to apply for, you may request access to the Pomona College application.
The Pomona application includes the following:
- Signature Documents
- Study Abroad Consent or Domestic Program Consent
- International and Domestic Programs Policies
- Informational Content
- Application Profile Picture
- Consular Information Sheet (International Programs only)
- Scholarships (International Programs only)
- Secondary Application Instructions
- One Faculty Recommendation (plus a language evaluation, if applicable)
- Application questionnaires
- Emergency Contact
- Student Information
- Personal Statement
- Academic Planning Forms (Advisor and Department Chair signature required)
- Passport Photocopy (International Programs only)
- Please note: students are required to have a passport that is valid for 6 months after the end of the program. If a student does not have a passport at the time of application, please submit a note indicating that you are in the process of applying along with the date you intend to receive your passport with your Pomona application. For more information, please visit the Passports page.
Optional: If you would like to earn major or minor credit abroad, you may download and complete the Preliminary Request for Major/Minor Credit with your department chair.
The Secondary Application
In addition to completing the Pomona College application, you must complete the “secondary application,” or the application generated by your program provider and/or host institution. For example, students applying to Middlebury Schools Abroad programs must complete the Middlebury Schools Abroad application, in addition to the standard Pomona College application.
The secondary application and all its supporting materials, such as photos and transcripts, are due to the program provider by the Pomona College deadline. For most programs, it is the student's responsibility to submit the application to the program sponsor directly. Please see more detailed secondary application instructions in your online Pomona College application.
Pomona Programs have supplemental application materials. The Pomona College application includes instructions for completing the secondary application (except for the Cambridge and Caracol programs) as well as additional items for the Pomona College application. Please read your secondary application instructions in the Pomona College application portal carefully and take note of any items the host institution requires the International and Domestic Programs Office to send on your behalf. Pomona Programs are: Cambridge, Cape Town GES, Caracol, Edinburgh, and Tokyo.
Completing the Secondary Application
1. Complete the application, which can be found on your program provider's website, or in the Pomona Program application materials. Be sure to save a copy for your records.
2. Your secondary application may require the following documents and forms:
Completing the Secondary Application Information
- Official Transcript: Students may request one PDF copy of their official transcript to be sent to their program provider from the Pomona Registrar at no cost by emailing Registrar@pomona.edu. Students must provide the email address of the program provider, as well as the name of the recipient/office to which it will be sent, when making their request. Additional electronic transcripts may be ordered through the student portal at the student's expense.
- Study Abroad Advisor Approval Form/Home Institution Nomination Form: This must be completed by the International and Domestic Programs Office. If your program has an online form, please send it to one of our advisors. Please note: Pomona will consider your secondary application to be complete when all materials, except for the nomination form, are submitted. The IDPO will complete this form after reviewing your Pomona College application.
- Faculty Recommendation(s): Please follow the provider's instructions for requesting and submitting faculty recommendation(s), in addition to the recommendation required by Pomona College. Pomona College does not automatically share your recommendation with your program provider. You should request recommendations from professors who have taught you in a college-level academic course. Please note that some of our program partners use the same online application system as Pomona College, so the recommendation requests faculty receive from Pomona College and your program provider will look almost identical. They should complete both. For programs that do not require a letter of recommendation, but rather a form, if faculty prefer, Pomona College (as well as some program providers) will accept a letter of recommendation in place of the form.
- Language Evaluation: Programs which have a language prerequisite will often require a language evaluation. This may be completed by the same language professor who completes the language evaluation for your Pomona College application, but he/she must complete both evaluations (Pomona & secondary applications); one form cannot substitute another.
- Photos: In addition to the photo the Pomona College application requires, many secondary applications require photos. If a hard copy photo is required, these may be taken in the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Certain programs impose size or content requirements on photos, so please follow instructions carefully. The TCCS Connection, at the south entrance of Honnold Mudd library, can take official passport photos. Most drugstores, such as CVS and Walgreens, also offer an official passport service. In the Claremont Village, Claremont Photo & Video also offers this service.
- Additional Forms and/or Copies: Please read application instructions carefully and submit all necessary forms and photocopies of documents as the program provider requests.
ADDITIONAL FORMS AND/OR COPIES
3. Most programs have waived the application fee for Pomona College students, but there are some programs that require students to pay the application fee upfront. If your program requires you to pay an application fee when applying, you may submit a reimbursement request to the Assistant Director of International Programs. Please keep all documentation and receipts to file the reimbursement.
4. It is your responsibility to submit your secondary application by Pomona's application deadline. Many programs fill up before their deadline and the Pomona College deadline is set with this in mind.
5. Students may apply to one program only. However, in cases where the selected program is competitive or if there is concern about a student’s relevant prerequisites, we encourage students to select a second-choice program. Advisors will work individually with applicants in these circumstances to determine the best timeframe for the second-choice application.
What Happens After I Submit My Application?
All Pomona College applications are reviewed by the Pomona College International and Domestic Programs Office and the International and Domestic Programs Committee (IDPC) and applicants will be notified in writing about acceptance by the IDPC. Additionally, each applicant’s secondary application must be approved by their program provider and/or host university.
Participation in an international or domestic program is contingent upon continued good academic and disciplinary standing in the current semester. This includes satisfactory completion of all program pre-requisite courses and related language courses. In addition, students should maintain the GPA required for the program.
Applicants who are accepted to study off-campus by Pomona College must complete and sign the Acceptance Agreement by the deadline specified in the acceptance letter, indicating their intent to participate. After applicants sign this document, they become international or domestic program participants and must complete the participation forms found in the online application portal. It is important that students submit all required forms and respond to all requests from the International and Domestic Programs Office and the program provider in a timely manner. Failure to do so will result in automatic withdrawal from the program.
For more information regarding the selection process, please visit the Selection Process page.