Do I need a passport?

Yes.  In order to study abroad you must have a passport that is valid for six months beyond the date of your return to the U.S.  following your study abroad program. If you do not have a passport, or need to renew it, you should apply for a passport immediately.   A copy of the inside of passport is required in your Pomona study abroad application, as well as in many Secondary applications.

When should I apply?

Students should apply for a passport prior to or at the time of applying for study abroad. 

How do I apply for or renew my passport?

U.S. passports are issued by the U.S. Department of State.  See their website for information on how to apply or renew your passport:
Passport fees are the responsibility of the student:

How long does it take to apply?

It may take up to six weeks to receive your passport. For an additional fee, students may have their passport application expedited.

Do I need my passport to get my visa?

Yes!  A visa is a stamp that is placed inside your passport. See our visa webpage (under Admitted Students) for more information.

Students Holding Non-U.S. Passports

U.S. visa holders, students with DACA, and U.S. permanent residents must check with the U.S. Immigration Service concerning regulations for re-entry into the U.S. It is important to verify procedures, especially if you might be outside the U.S. for more than one year, to permit re-entry to the U.S. Please note that overseas communications may be needed and this can be time consuming.  Please plan ahead!