- Calmly alert people in the area of the fire and activate the nearest fire alarm.
- Do not try to retrieve items in another area of the building.
- Evacuate the building using the stairs. Do not use elevators!
- Close as many doors behind you as possible. Touch doors with the back of your hand to see if they are hot. Do not open hot doors.
- Call Campus Safety at 909-607-2000.
- Report to the building’s designated evacuation area and wait for further instructions.
If trapped in a building:
- Close all windows and doors.
- Wet and place cloth material around and under door to prevent smoke from entering.
- Call Campus Safety at 909-607-2000 for help and tell them your location.
To be prepared, you should know the nearest exits and the evacuation site for each building you visit frequently. See the Pomona College evacuation map.
- When you hear a bullhorn or fire alarm, immediately stop what you are doing and exit the building.
- While leaving, take note of any hazards and any remaining occupants.
- If requested, assist anyone who appears to need direction or assistance.
- Take with you ONLY essential personal items (wallet, keys, etc.).
- Shut all doors behind you but do not lock. Closed doors can slow the spread of fire, smoke and water.
- Once outside, proceed directly to the building evacuation site.
- Do not leave the evacuation site unless directed to do so by Pomona College emergency personnel.