Kurzweil 3000 text-to-speech software can help you read faster and improve your focus. You can use Kurzweil to read the web, including e-textbooks viewed through a browser. You can also open almost any electronic file type with Kurzweil 3000, including Word, PDF, HTML, EPUB, and many others.
Anyone with a Pomona College email address can use Kurzweil for FREE! With the campus license purchased by ARS Office, there are 3 different ways available for you to use Kurzweil. You may opt to only use one format of Kurzweil or all three:
Kurzweil Format Options
Option 1: Use the Read the Web Extension
We recommend using Chrome browser extension to read the web (Firefox extension not recommended).
- Download and install the Read the Web extension from the Chrome webstore
- Follow the prompts to install the extension.
- After the extension is installed, restart Chrome.
- You'll notice a color square icon button near the top-right of your web browser. You can click on that button to expand the Kurzweil overlay.
- Enter your Kurzweil username and password to log into the Read the Web add-on.
- Click the play button to start reading content on a web page. It may be a good idea to select text you want to read first, or place your cursor at a location on the page before you start to read.
Detailed instructions for Read the Web (Word Document)
Option 2: Use the Web-based App to Read Documents
You can use Kurzweil3000.com to read documents on any device with an internet browser and connection.
- You can open many different types of documents, including PDF, Word, and EPUB.
- You can upload and save documents in your Universal Library.
- You can also open documents from your computer or that are stored in Google Drive.
- For more information, please refer to this 5-minute video or review this guide.
Detailed instructions for Kurzweil web application (Word Document)
Option 3: Download and Install Kurzweil 3000
For additional functionality, including offline, install Kurzweil 3000 on your PC or Mac.
- Download the Web License version installer file (for Windows or MAC)
- Install the software on your computer
- Log in to the software using your Kurzweil username and password. You will need to be connected to the internet the first time you log in. After that you will be able to use Kurzweil offline, if necessary.
- For more information on how to use Kurzweil, check out Kurzweil Academy for videos and Kurzweil Help for additional resources.
Access your Kurzweil Account
- Visit www.kurzweil3000.com
- Click “Sign in with Microsoft”
- Use your Pomona credentials to log-on and access your Kurzweil 3000 account
- Click on your Universal Library.
- Expand your user name folder, and then click into your private folder.
- You’ll notice that the orange Upload button to the right is no longer grayed out. Click Upload to upload a file.
- Let the file finish uploading (you’ll see a percentage % indicator at the top left). Once it’s uploaded, you’ll see the file in your Universal Library to click on
- Click on the file to open it in the K3000 web app.
Please remember that although all Pomona College students have access to Kurzweil, only a small group of students registered with ARS are eligible for alternate media accommodations. Only students eligible for alternate media accommodations may receive their textbooks in Kurzweil format through the SDRC. Sharing Kurzweil files created by Alternate Media Services with other students is strictly prohibited, and may be reported to the Dean of Students Office.
Questions? Please contact the ARS Team at Disability@pomona.edu