What is the “Two-Step Application Process”?

Approval for Study Abroad is a two-step process. All study abroad programs require a Pomona Application; some also require a Secondary Application in addition to the Pomona Application. All applicants are reviewed by the Study Abroad Committee and, if approved by Pomona, referred to the respective study abroad program. Each program abroad then has its own selection criteria which may differ from the criteria used by Pomona. The number of applications program providers receive from other colleges nationally may also affect the selection process and some programs may become competitive.

Can I submit an application to more than one program?

No. Students are expected to have chosen their study abroad program at the time of application.  Students who are accepted to study abroad by Pomona and who are not accepted by their program provider may, at that time, file a second-choice application.  Students in internally competitive pools such as Cambridge may file a second-choice application after notification of acceptance has been received.

May I use the same essays I write for my Pomona Application for my Secondary Application?

Possibly. The Pomona study abroad essays may be similar to the essay required by your program provider. If so, by all means, use the same essay. If the essay question on your Secondary Application differs, you may need to adapt your Pomona essay or write another.

My program/university does not provide a list of available courses until I arrive onsite – how should I complete my Curriculum Proposal?

Use the resources available in the OSA library!  There are university course catalogs, study abroad prospecti and course evaluations from past study abroad students.  You can also access many class listings on the Web. It is most important that you identify the academic departments in which you want to study since students at most universities overseas take classes only in one department for their entire college career.  You should also look carefully at the level, e.g. 2nd year, 3rd year etc. of courses in a given department since many courses require you to have completed particular prerequisites.   So, if you do not have a complete course list you can write "3rd year English class" etc., or write the title of the course title that you hope to take.

Finally, the courses that you list on your Pomona Application Curriculum Proposal are only preliminary selections in most cases.  Investigate your choices as carefully as you can, but remain flexible. Once onsite, you should email your course listings to the Director of Study Abroad for approval.

I need to submit the Foreign Language Evaluation for the Pomona application for Study Abroad. Can the same faculty member who completes this form also write a letter of recommendation for me?

Yes! You should have faculty who can best comment on your preparation for your study abroad program write your recommendations.  This may be the same person who also evaluates your language level.  Please note that some Secondary Applications also require a language evaluation that may, or may not, be completed by the same person who write your recommendation.  Be sure to read the Secondary Application carefully before asking your language evaluator/recommender.

My program requires me to have completed “four semesters college-level Spanish/French” etc. – what does this mean?

Four semesters of college-level language is equivalent to having completed through Spanish 44, French 44, German 44, or Russian 44; Chinese 51b or Japanese 51b. You may fulfill this requirement if you studied a language in high school and placed into 101 or higher on your language placement exam when you entered Pomona. Be aware that most programs, however, require a recent language course to have been taken within one-year of anticipated study abroad.

Some programs require three years of language, etc. – this is the equivalent of six college semesters, or the equivalent (i.e. two 100-level college language courses).

My Secondary Application asks for a billing address – what should I write?

Send bills to the attention of: Assistant Director of Study Abroad, Pomona College, 265 E. Bonita Ave., Claremont, CA 91711, tel. (909) 621-8154, fax. (909) 621-8591, email: sabroad@pomona.edu.

My Secondary Application asks me where my transcript should be sent – what should I write?

The Registrar for Study Abroad is the Director of Study Abroad. All transcripts should be directed to our office. Please have your program sponsor mail transcripts to: Director of Study Abroad, Pomona College, 265 E. Bonita Ave., Claremont, CA 91711, tel. (909) 621-8154, fax. (909) 621-8591, email: sabroad@pomona.edu.

Where can I get photos taken for my passport application and ISIC?

The Office of Housing & Residential Life can take photos for your study abroad application and ISIC. The TCCS Connection, at the south entrance of Honnold Mudd library, can take official passport photos. Most drugstores, such as CVS and Walgreens, offer an official passport photo service.

I am ready to submit my application to the OSA -- what should I remember?

  • Your application must be complete to submit it online.
  • If you are still in the process of applying for your passport, indicate the date that you expect to receive it in your application. We will need a copy when you receive it.
  • You are responsible for mailing your secondary application directly to the program sponsor, unless you are applying to Athens, Cape Town-Globalization, Edinburgh, Tokyo, or UCL Neuroscience.
  • DO NOT pay any application fees.

How do I get credit for my major?

Credit for your major is awarded by the department chair of your major.

You should meet with the chair of your major department during the study abroad application process to preliminarily determine if an anticipated course may count toward major credit. You should bring the department chair a copy of the course description and obtain their signature on your Pomona Application. You may also wish to complete a Petition for Major/Minor Credit form (see “major/minor requirements abroad”) to document approval obtained ahead of time. Final approval may be granted only after you have returned from study abroad and presented course syllabi, reading lists, papers, exams etc.

Can I fulfill GE requirements abroad?

GE requirements may not be fulfilled abroad.

What does study abroad cost?

Study abroad students are charged Pomona on-campus tuition, standard room & board fees for the semester abroad. The Associated Students Fee is not charged. Students on financial aid continue receiving aid abroad. In addition, Pomona provides a meal allowance for students participating on programs which do not include meals, local transportation allowance if required to commute to class and an allowance toward the cost of overseas travel.

Students are responsible for commuting costs not included in the program fee and incidental expenses such as books, laundry, entertainment, postage and telephone calls. These costs may vary by location and students should read past student evaluations for recommendations on a local budget.

I will be a senior next year – can I still study abroad?

Yes. Some students may find that studying abroad during the first semester of their senior year works out best with their academic plan. Consult with your faculty advisor if you are interested in this possibility.  Students must be on-campus during the semester preceding graduation.

I am a science major – can I study abroad?

Absolutely. There are a variety of programs that offer science courses abroad, both in English and in other languages.  If you are a science major interested in studying abroad, you will want to plan as early as possible and discuss this with your advisor.

Can I study abroad for more than one semester?

Applications for year-long study abroad or two different semester programs abroad will be considered by the SAC only if there are exceptional academic reasons for a second semester of overseas study. If you are interested in either a year-long program or two different programs you should discuss this with your academic advisor and with a member of the OSA staff.  In addition, please review the Selection Criteria information in this website.

Can I do an internship abroad?

Yes. There may be credit or non-credit internships available to students abroad.  If you are interested in this option you should refer to your program description and discuss internship guidelines with a member of the OSA staff.

Can I volunteer abroad?

Yes. Most study abroad programs will help you investigate opportunities for volunteering with a local organization or school during your semester overseas.  Students often find this experience helps them acquaint themselves with locals easily and offers more flexibility and free time than internships.

Can I work abroad?

Whether you can work abroad depends on the national regulations of the country in which you study. In most cases, information about whether you can legally work while you are studying abroad is available from the Embassy of the country in which you are studying. There is also information about working abroad in the OSA library resource center.