2022-2023 Academic Year: Aleksandra Bystrova
Tell us something special about your hometown.
I was born in Petrozavodsk, the capital of the Republic of Karelia. Karelia is a picturesque land of forests and hundreds of lakes, situated in the northwestern part of Russia. Due to the northern location, it is possible to observe such natural wonders as white nights in summer, when it never gets completely dark, and sometimes even green northern lights in winter.
Tell us about a favorite activity that you pursue when you have free time.
When I have free time, I enjoy taking long walks in the city center or the suburbs of St. Petersburg. During these trips I love taking film pictures of the surroundings with one of my vintage cameras, listening to atmospheric instrumental music. Sometimes I invite my friends or family members to join me, and then such photo-walks become much more fascinating!
Tell us about your favorite food or dish from your region and why you think it is special.
My favorite traditional Karelian dish is called “kalitka”. It is a small open pie made of unleavened rye dough with various fillings, such as rice or potatoes. This dish is quite special because very few people outside the northern region know about or have ever tasted these yummy Karelian pies. My parents used to buy bags of kalitki when we went camping, so this dish also makes me recall my childhood.
Past Russian Language Residents
- 2019-2021: Mariia Glukhova
- 2017-2019: Mykyta Tyshchenko
- 2015-2017: Tatiana Ermolaeva
- 2013-2015: Maria Lentsman
- 2012-2013: Anastasia Bobysheva
- 2011-2012: Veronika Sergeeva
- 2009-2011: Anastasia Smirnova
- 2007-2009: Elvira Amirkhanova
- 2006-2007: Maria Bent
- 2004-2006: Snezhana Zheltoukhova
- 2003-2004: Evgenia Mineeva
- 2001-2003: Natasha Kolupaeva
- 2000-2001: Galina Titova
- 1999-2000: Andrei Khanzin
- 1997-1999: Sofia Ianovskaia
- 1995-1997: Olessia Bordioug
- 1994-1995: Nargis Kasenova
- 1993-1994: Misha Kozareff
- 1992-1993: Elena Nikiforova
- 1991-1992: Nadezhda Maliugina
- 1990-1991: Elena Panina
- 1988-1990: Vera Nazarian
- 1985-1988: Laura Ann Bratoff
- 1980-1985: Yana Yudelevich
- 1978-1980: Masha Sinkevich
- 1976-1978: Galya Diment
- 1972-1976: Masha Sinkevich
- 1970-1973: Lidia Savenkov
- 1969-1970: Roman Yuszczuk
- 1968-1969: Petr Brandeisky