2019-2020 Academic Year: Mariia Glukhova
Tell us something special about your hometown.
I grew up in Eastern Siberia in the city called Novokuznetsk (former Stalinsk) where, in winter, temperatures can drop to -40 °F. In such weather, even public transport does not work, but the citizens still have to get to work!
Tell us about a favorite activity that you pursue when you have free time.
I love nature and I usually spend half a summer going on hikes and visiting natural reserves. In winter I also spend much time outdoors; snowboarding is one of my favorite ways of recharging after living and working in a big city.
Tell us when and how you started studying foreign languages and what you like about learning languages.
I started learning English when I was seven years old, but in fact, I began to feel confident in using the language only 10 years later. It happened when I entered Smolny College in St. Petersburg where our teacher showed us that learning foreign languages can be a truly exciting process. Now I have completed a master's degree in linguistics, and I still believe that learning foreign languages helps us better understand not only other cultures but also ourselves.
Past Russian Language Residents
- 2017-2019: Mykyta Tyshchenko
- 2015-2017: Tatiana Ermolaeva
- 2013-2015: Maria Lentsman
- 2012-2013: Anastasia Bobysheva
- 2011-2012: Veronika Sergeeva
- 2009-2011: Anastasia Smirnova
- 2007-2009: Elvira Amirkhanova
- 2006-2007: Maria Bent
- 2004-2006: Snezhana Zheltoukhova
- 2003-2004: Evgenia Mineeva
- 2001-2003: Natasha Kolupaeva
- 2000-2001: Galina Titova
- 1999-2000: Andrei Khanzin
- 1997-1999: Sofia Ianovskaia
- 1995-1997: Olessia Bordioug
- 1994-1995: Nargis Kasenova
- 1993-1994: Misha Kozareff
- 1992-1993: Elena Nikiforova
- 1991-1992: Nadezhda Maliugina
- 1990-1991: Elena Panina
- 1988-1990: Vera Nazarian
- 1985-1988: Laura Ann Bratoff
- 1980-1985: Yana Yudelevich
- 1978-1980: Masha Sinkevich
- 1976-1978: Galya Diment
- 1972-1976: Masha Sinkevich
- 1970-1973: Lidia Savenkov
- 1969-1970: Roman Yuszczuk
- 1968-1969: Petr Brandeisky