2019-2020 Academic Year:Blanca Barranco Lafuente
Tell us something special about your hometown.
I come from a northern city of Spain called Soria. Actually, it is the second smallest city in the country. Nevertheless, it is a very beautiful place where you can enjoy lots of natural areas. It is also known for being particularly cold, which makes me even more enthusiastic about experiencing the Cali weather.
Tell us what you studied at university and what you might like to do one day.
I studied Translation and Interpreting with English and German as target languages in my hometown. However, I soon realized that, although I liked my degree, I wanted to try something different. I did my Bachelor’s placement in a private school, and I enjoyed this experience so much, that I then decided to redirect my career path towards the ‘teaching world’, which is why I have done my Master’s degree in Teacher Training. I have always loved the English language and my main aim is therefore to become an English teacher. Nonetheless, after working as a language assistant in Germany, I also discovered that I really enjoy teaching Spanish as a foreign language. All in all, I know for a fact that I want to be a teacher, but I have not been able to decide on which languages to teach yet.
Tell us about a favorite food or dish from your region and why you think it is special.
My favorite dish turns out to be a Spanish one: ¡Croquetas! You might think that they are not that special or that they are not even from Spain, but Spanish croquettes are not normal potato croquettes. They are made with béchamel sauce and can be filled with plenty of different ingredients, such as ham, cheese or mushrooms. There is only one thing wrong with croquetas: they are not that easy to prepare, especially for those who maybe do not have a natural flare for cooking, like myself!
2019-2020 Academic Year: Katherine Sofía Pérez Gutiérrez
Tell us something special about your hometown
I have lived in quite a few neighborhoods in Chile's capital city, Santiago. I would describe it as a very fast paced town filled with cultural centers, vibrant day and nightlife. Which is surrounded by natural areas where you can easily go and take a breather from day to day life. The municipality I currently live in is located in the southwest part of the city and it is known for being home to many of Santiago's historic monuments and cultural heritage.
Tell us when and how you started studying foreign languages and what you like about learning languages.The first approach I had with formal foreign language learning was in middle school's English lessons. As I began studying more languages in high school and college, I realized how much of people's culture is embedded in their languages, and how helpful they are for you to broaden your horizons.
Tell us about a favorite activity that you pursue when you have free time.
In my free time, what I enjoy the most is dancing and doing sports. For the most part, I am more into peaceful settings, especially sharing time with my friends and loved ones at the same time.
Past Spanish Language Residents
- 2017-2019: José Gómez Soria
- 2017-2019: Hugo Briones Cáceres
- 2015-2017: Joaquin Garcia de la Cruz
- 2015-2017: Tamara Olivos Muñoz
- 2014-2015: Rosina Desimone
- 2013-2015: Isaac Gimenez-Garcia
- 2013-2014: Leticia Garziglia
- 2012-2013: Mariana Jaimes-Couoh
- 2011-2013: Zeltia-Fucinos-Mosquera
- 2011-2012: Mauricio Aldecosea-Blixen
- 2009-2011: Juan Pedro Giner Martinez
- 2007-2009: María Alejandre-Fariñas
- 2005-2007: Ignacio Vega-Matilla
- 2004-2005: Lorena Rodriguez-Ruiz
- 2002-2004: Antonio Ramos-Alvarez
- 2001-2002: Anna Cancho-Sanchez
- 1999-2001: Roberto Blanco
- 1997-1999: Magdalena Contardo
- 1993-1995: Juan Carlos Martin
- 1992-1993: Maria Elena Hernandez
- 1991-1992: Maria Isabel Valdunciel-Garcia
- 1990-1991: Miguel Santos de Vega
- 1989-1990: Felipe Negritto-Cornejo
- 1986-1989: Esther Checa-Garcia
- 1984-1986: Gisela Delgado-Dorante
- 1982-1984: Maria Donapetry
- 1981-1982: Concepcion Recari-Grajeda
- 1979-1981: Miguel Perea
- 1976-1979: Francisco Cabello
- 1975-1976: Monica Arguello
- 1970-1975: Guillermo Odio
- 1968-1970: Angela Rincon-Nunez
- 1967-1968: Amparo Ocampo